Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2015 10:00

Activate Windows: Running Windows as a virtual machine on Ubuntu: How to activate?

I just got a Latitude 3550 with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I assume they were OEM activated when I first switched on the machine. Then I installed Ubuntu 14.04, completely formatting the disk (there are no ntfs partitions anymore, so Windows are gone).

But since I paid for the Windows, I would have liked to run them using a virtual machine. Trying an installation using the DVD that came with the laptop using VirtualBox, I am asked for an activation code. 

Do you know if it is possible to get one since I am not using the original preinstalled windows anymore?

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 21:00

Activation code? Probably mean Activation KEY for Windows 8.1?  Windows 8.1 is an update and shouldn't be the OS pre installed, or it would be on the sticker on the Laptop, or it would be in the documentation that came with it when you purchased it.  Did you get any of those golden priceless pieces of paper and plastic with it?  

if you got it 2nd hand (from a private owner) then it was probably pre-installed with 8.0 and then upgraded to 8.1.  If so; you have to install 8.0 FIRST and ACTIVATE it .. before running the upgrade to 8.1.

I'm trying to find a windows 8.0 site for download but only finding 8.1 ...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 11:00

Windows is not licensed that way.  Only the original Physical hardware can be Activated.  You cannot move this from machine to machine.  The windows 8 key is in the physical bios not a virtual machine.  The machine ID hash tag is not the same for a physical vs virtual machine.

You cannot license and activate a virtual machine without buying another copy of windows.

When you move the virtual machine to another platform its uuid changes and therefore you need a new license.

8 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 23:00

8 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 23:00

Thank you all! I am REALLY ***, these terms should be transparent to the consumer and they are NOT. I am not a windows guy to follow the details of the train of thoughts of Microsoft, but when a machine is advertised that comes with Windows, then I should be able to run windows on it, no matter how. And it is a change of practice without notice (to me) since previous versions were coming with activation keys. Of course I understand the logic now, but not when I bought the computer.

As Google says: Piracy is an Availability and Pricing Problem

(torrentfreak.com/google-piracy-availability-pricing-problem-140310 <ADMIN NOTE:  TOU Violation removed per policy>)

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 24th, 2015 05:00

Is in the license which you and most people don't bother to read. Completely legal.

The retail license of Windows is more costly. BUY that one.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2019 19:00

There is a possible hack:

Download the respective Windows ISO from somewhere else, extract the license key from ACPI table MSDM [sudo xxd /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM], and install with both.

As mentioned earlier: The hack is only legal for dual boot on physical system where Dell puts Windows on an SSD in RAID mode but Linux needs it in AHCI mode.

The retail version always allows usage in a VM.

No Events found!