Highlighted
minertom
1 Copper

Can't install linux with external DVD or USB drive. Inspiron 15 7000.

Hi to the community.

I have an Inspiron 15 7000 with no internal DVD drive. I have been attempting to load, at this point, any linux distribution onto this machine, natively (no dual boot). I have tried ubuntu, debian and fedora, but the install disk for each starts the install but then at some point the machine "hangs" (all activity stops). On boot, I am able to choose the DVD drive, which is recognized, by choosing it from the boot loader options. But, as I mentioned, the install eventually hangs.

I am NOT attempting dual boot but eventually wish to run from an external USB drive.

linux DOES run on a virtual machine running on Win 10.

What is the trick for loading linux from an external drive?

Thank You

Tom

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

Re: Can't install linux with external DVD or USB drive. Inspiron 15 7000.

Which Linux are you trying to install?
0 Kudos
minertom
1 Copper

Thank you for the reply,

In the original post I mentioned that I had tried ubuntu 14.4, ubuntu 16.06, debian 7.0, fedora 23. 

Tom

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

0 Kudos
pepevi83
1 Copper

Re: Can't install linux with external DVD or USB drive. Insp

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I bought my dell last October 2017 and I have not been able to install any Linux distribution. I just tried with Ubuntu 18.04, and nothing.

I have tried every possible manual/help: Disable Fast Boot, SATA Operation Mode to AHCI, nomodeset, ...

The only problem I could think of is the second SSD drive I added (Crucial MX300 CT525MX300SSD1 525 GB), that could cause any incompatibility issue??

I think I will be stuck with Linux my next 4 or 5 years Smiley Sad

0 Kudos