Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2017 13:00

Coil Whine through headphone jack after suspend (linux)

I purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360 (the new model). Overall, while clearly audible, I can live with the coil whine from the laptop. However, when I plug in my headphones, I can very clearly hear the coil whine over music while it is playing.

When I first boot my laptop, there is only a small amount of clicking through the headphones. The issue seems to only occur after suspending the laptop for the first time, and can only be fixed by rebooting.

I am running Fedora 26 with all of the updates applied as of writing, and I have followed the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(9360)#Continuous_hissing_sound_with_headphones . Any ideas?

October 16th, 2017 20:00

It seems that even when I mute the sound, I can hear the coil whine. It is quite loud. Any ideas?

November 5th, 2017 17:00

I'm having the same issue on Solus after suspending the laptop, except I'm hearing it through the speakers as well. When I plug in headphones, the sound stops through the speakers. I'm sure its a software issue, as it doesn't occur in windows.

No Events found!