Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2007 17:00

Dual Head Help (Please :)

System:

Fedora 7 running on a Dell Presision 390 with a nVidia Quadro NVS 285 dual head card.

Fedora correctly detects the video card and monitor for the main display (using the generic nv driver). However, when I select "Dual Head" in the Display dialog, and restart x, I get an an error indicating that x cannot start because:

"Requested Entity already in use."

Restoring the xorg.conf from a backup fixes the problem, of course, but brings me back to a single monitor setup. I have downloaded dell-nvidia-7676-1dkms.i386.rpm and installed it, however, the problem persists.

Is there anyone in this forum who has successfully gotten dual head to work on a non-ubuntu linux system? Any help you can offer if so? Thanks!

Robert

17 Posts

June 27th, 2007 17:00

you need to install the nvidia drivers, and google for nvidia dual head, or nvidia twinview.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2007 18:00

Have you gotten the dual head to work on your system? I am looking for specific help if possible, as I have been googling this issue for a week or more. I have downloaded and installed the nVidia drivers via the rpm on the Dell site, but I am not finding any tutorials or step by steps for this card. If you have gotten it to work, can you share your xorg.conf file? Or perhaps share a link or two that were useful to you? Thanks!

48 Posts

June 27th, 2007 22:00

With both my nVidia FX5200 and my new 7600GT I use twinview to have a dual monitor setup.

I will copy the important bits of my xorg.conf (Using Ubuntu 7.04, but it shouldn't matter).

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GT]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:2:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "True"
EndSection

If you are using the "nvidia" drivers (not "nv" ) then all you have to do is add a few lines to this section. The last three options are what I use for Twinview.

[Edit] Accidental Smiley generation. Also, I wish the default post interface kept whitespace.

Message Edited by kevinf311 on 06-27-2007 07:46 PM

4 Posts

June 28th, 2007 16:00

kevin, this is terrific. I'll try adding these lines to the config and I'll report back.

4 Posts

June 28th, 2007 17:00

Wow. That was an easy solution. All I did was add the Options lines from your example and I am up and running on two screens and loving it. Thanks a bunch. For future posters, this is all I did from start to finish: 1. download the nvidia driver from nvidia directly, kill all x sessions and install the driver as root via command line. 2. Add the options lines to the Device section (as shown in kevin's post above). 3. Log out, back in, and enjoy the doubled real estate! Cheers folks.

48 Posts

June 28th, 2007 18:00

Glad to hear that you got it up and running.

For those using Ubuntu 7.04 (or something very similar) the nVidia drivers can be installed using the Restricted Drivers Manager found under System > Administration (Gnome). After restarting X you can add the twinview options and restart X again to get the dual monitor setup working.
No Events found!