Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2009 10:00

How do I install Ubuntu on my Mini 12 (it came with XP)

I'd like to have a dual boot system on this netbook until I'm comfortable enough with Ubuntu to completely dump XP.  In the meantime, I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu.  I used the Wubi installer (wubi-installer.org/), but I end up at a black screen with a prompt.  I type 'startx' and then get an error "fatal server error. no screens found. giving up"

...?

What's the trick for installing Ubuntu on the Mini 12?

My other computer is a Mac.  I don't have an external CD/DVD drive, but I can copy ISOs to a USB flash drive, if need be, but I'd really rather not wipe out the hard drive on this Mini 12 yet.  I have no experience with XP, so I'd rather avoid the hassle of trying to re-installing it along with finding whatever drivers I'd need for this hardware.

1 Message

March 8th, 2009 19:00

I'd like to do the same thing.  My mini 12 came with Vista Home (I bought it from the Dell outlet site, so I had no choice).  Vista is unusable on the mini.  With only 1 Gb memory, Vista takes up 600 Mb with no applications running.

I installed XP, and it's workable, but I'd like to get the Dell Ubuntu image.  The standard version of Ubuntu 8.04 has driver incompatibilities, and the standard Ubuntu 8.10 won't work at all.  Will Dell release their Ubuntu 8.04 image for those of us that want Linux but have Windows installed?

1 Message

March 9th, 2009 20:00

I have exactly the same issue.  I just got my Dell Mini 12 with Windows XP (because I have a few programs I use that are native to Windows), but really would love to use Ubuntu for my bread and butter e-mail, web surfing, etc.  I have dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 on an older Acer laptop, and it runs with no problem, but I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my new Dell Mini 12 and can't get it to work.  I tried installing from a CD using the external CD/DVD drive I got with the Mini, but it wouldn't get very far in the installation.  Then I tried installing 8.10 using Wubi.  It installed, but it leaves me at the command prompt.  I am an amatuer, so I don't know how to use  Ubuntu from the command prompt.  Any suggestions?  I love my Mini and I love Ubuntu, but I have to use Windows XP for some things.  Can't we all just get along?

7 Posts

March 9th, 2009 20:00

Then I tried installing 8.10 using Wubi.  It installed, but it leaves me at the command prompt.  I am an amatuer, so I don't know how to use  Ubuntu from the command prompt.  Any suggestions?

At that point, type "startx" (but no quotes) and you'll find yourself facing an error message and another command prompt.  Apparently, special drivers are required.

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 01:00

The problem would seem to be a lack of video driver support in the jane ubuntu.  However, Dell version of the .iso is here...

http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/intrepid/iso-images/ubuntu-8.10-dell-reinstall.iso

See the Ubuntu Forums if you need help converting the .iso into a bootable USB flash drive.

Note that the Dell .iso provides a restore to a ubuntu OEM install.  Back up your data.  When finished you will not have XP or Vista or anything else on your hard drive.

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 01:00

You should also know that you will have the same trouble with video drivers if you try to upgrade your copy of Ubuntu.  Install updates as required but DO NOT UPGRADE.

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 12:00

That may be a Dell version of Ubuntu, but it sure does NOT look like it is intended specifically for the Mini 12.  There's so much misinformation going around regarding the Mini 12, probably because it (and possibly the Mini 10) has a different architecture (Poulsbo) than any other laptop.  Things that work on the Mini 9, for example, don't work on the Mini 12...  but Mini 9 owners are too quick to chime in and say "Oh, yeah, this works on a Mini!"

...it may work on a Mini 9, but the Mini 12 is a different animal.  Don't let its looks fool you.  The Mini 12 is not just a bigger Mini 9.

I managed to get Hardy running on my Mini 12 using the instructions found HERE (specifically, follow the link and scroll down to post #94).

19 Posts

May 5th, 2009 23:00

Why doesn't Dell just post the .iso for Ubuntu on the mini 12?  It is obviously a popular machine and OS.  There is lots of discussion about how to install it but there is no help what so ever from Dell.

Dell, please just post the image or the drivers.  They exist.  Just throw us a bone here.

No Events found!