Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FB

September 19th, 2017 00:00

How to wake up laptop using USB device when lid is closed?

Hi all,

My Dell XPS 13 9360 with Ubuntu 16.04 is attached to an external monitor most of the time, with the laptop lid closed. I would like to wake up the computer from suspend using a USB mouse or keyboard that is attached to it, but it does not seem to work.

In the Bios, the USB Wakeup option is set to enabled. Also, as far as I can tell, Ubuntu should be able to wake up from USB since I have this:

$ lspci | grep -i USB
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)

$ grep 00:14.0 /proc/acpi/wakeup
XHC S0 *enabled pci:0000:00:14.0

I am not familiar with /proc/acpi/wakeup. Maybe the S0 state should be set to something else? For example the Lid and power button seem to have state S3.

$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | tail

LID0 S3 *enabled platform:PNP0C0D:00
PBTN S3 *enabled platform:PNP0C0C:00

Any help appreciated to get this to work! Thanks

4 Posts

March 19th, 2018 11:00

As mentioned above, my USB controller (pci:0000:00:14.0) is allowed to wake the computer up.

I have also made sure my specific mouse/keyboard device is allowed:

$ lsusb | grep -i keyboard
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 062a:4101 Creative Labs Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
$ cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2/power/wakeup
enabled
I have checked again that USB Wakeup in enabled in the BIOS: Power management > USB Wake support > Wake on Dell USB-C Dock > Checked

Coming back to the USB controller having wakeup mode S0, I believe this means it can only wake up the computer from modes S0 and lower, i.e. only when it's already fully powered (e.g. not from S3 suspend mode). Further, it seems the S* states listed in /proc/acpi/wakeup come straight from the motherboard / BIOS. I flashed the latest BIOS (2.51) to make sure, but the issue persists...

No Events found!