Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2007 07:00

Installing dual-boot Linux on Inspiron 6400

Hello,
I have a new Inspiron 6400 with Windows Vista and I would like to install Ubuntu Linux 7.04 in a dual-booting configuration. I know the procedure, I have already done it on other computers. However I read that in this way I might make the Dell MediaDirect partition unusable (the installation rewrites the MBR which is used to launch MediaDirect). I found on the web some people suggesting how to do it, but they have a much older laptop with an older version of MediaDirect, so I am not sure if it will work. I really like MediaDirect, it offers a quick way to watch DVDs without launching Windows, and I would like to keep it.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Alfredo

5.8K Posts

May 19th, 2007 20:00

When I set up my 6400 for dual boot, I kept the Windows boot loader rather than using GRUB. I just wrote the boot info to the partition boot sector rather than the MBR. You can then tell the Windows boot loader to load that sector (use dd to grab the sector and put it into a file) and start up Linux. However, if you change the partitions to make room for Linux, you might destroy MediaDirect that way.

My MediaDirect worked for awhile after installing Linux, but doesn't anymore. When I try it now, it shows the logo and then freezes. I have heard that MD uses unpartitioned space and Linux may have finally over wrote that space. However, using unpartitioned space makes little sense to me.

Peter

May 21st, 2007 22:00

Dell's proprietary partioning schemes and practices are one of the first things that have to end if they are going to truly embrace Linux. The proprietary MBRs and "hidden" backup and diagnostic partitions create problems.

3 Posts

May 26th, 2007 01:00

I have a Dell inspiron E1505 running Windows Vista Ultimate, and I plan on installing Ubuntu 7.04(Using dual boot). I have two partitions in my harddisk, one with windows in it and the other(D drive) with all my programs and other files. I understand that for installing Ubuntu, I need two partitions, one for the OS and one for swap.. Can I install ubuntu in my D drive and also allocate the swap space there? Should I create a new partition with partition magic ? Or can I put the swap space in my C drive where my windows Vista is installed? Please help !!

Thanks a lot:manvery-happy: !

5.8K Posts

May 26th, 2007 02:00

Old versions of Linux used to be able to run from a file on a DOS drive, but I think that capability is long gone. If I am not mistaken you would need to repartition. You could move your data to the C drive (from D), delete the D partition and then create two new partitions in place of the D partition for Linux.

Peter
No Events found!