Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 10th, 2009 07:00

Stupid Linux Tricks

Back in the old UNiX command line days, there was no graphical interface.  I used to get pretty bored doing backups to stacks of 10 inch magtape reels on the night shift.  One form of entertainment I found was the Fortune Cookie program under /usr/games/fortune.  If you typed 'fortune' from the command line, a fortune or saying would be displayed.  This feature was not included with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, but it is available through the Synaptic Package Manager under Games and Amusement (universe) as 'fortunes'.  

Ok, now here is the good part.  If you type 'man fortune' it will display the manual or help pages for the 'fortune' command line.  One little know feature of the 'fortune' command is the 'fortune -o' option.  This will display offensive fortunes.  Offensive fortunes used to be a standard option in the old days.  Nowadays, many vendors omit the offensive 'fortune -o' option, because they don't want to offend their customers.  Well, here is how you can get it.  Just below 'fortunes' in the Synaptic Package Manager is another package called 'fortunes-off'.  This is a database containing the offensive fortunes that I missed for so long.  Yea!  Now I just open a terminal window and type 'fortune -o' anytime I want to be insulted or offended.  Some of these are pretty funny.

19 Posts

May 10th, 2009 16:00

All you needed to do was post your email right here.  Then you could just sit back and let fresh insults roll in  LOL

1 Message

May 12th, 2009 17:00

i havent looked for it in some time, but there was a small utility i also found that was called 'jive' which you could pipe fortune through, or anything for that matter.

samples: 

Yo' fault, dig dis: co'e dumped

...was an error message piped through 'jive'.

from fortune:

Q:  Why do ducks gots' flat feet?

A:  To stamp out fo'est fires.

Q:  Why do elephants gots' flat feet?

A:  To stamp out flamin' ducks.

it does not appear to be in the repository, but im sure you can still find it somewhere on the net.

37 Posts

May 17th, 2009 07:00

Besides the Fortune command, there are also some ASCII text based games from the old days.  There is a text based Backgammon game that was pretty good called 'btlgammon' or 'backgammon' depending on the OS.  Once you figure out the keyboard strokes, it's pretty good.  I have yet to find a good graphical based Backgammon game for Linux.  You can install these free text based games of old in the Synaptic Package Manager under "Games and Amusement (universe)" and it's called 'bsdgames'.  Beware of the 'backgammon' game though.  Whoever wrote this program is a sore loser.  The computer starts to load the dice if it starts losing.  

No Events found!