Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

June 19th, 2019 08:00

Thunderbolt docking (WD15) Ethernet card with Dell XPS'13 Ubuntu

Hi - I recently got Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu (4.15.0-1030-oem) and Dell Dock WD15. However, the Ethernet port the docking station is not recognized. I also do not see ethernet device with lshw. Though the external display, and USB ports are working.

Any idea? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 19th, 2019 09:00

The WD15 was not tested/validated by Dell in any Linux. Check the WD15 drivers page in this document, "How to Use and Troubleshoot Dell Docking Station WD15". There is no driver listing for the Linux operating system. Only Windows 7/8.1/10. This, "WD15 (USB Type-C) Information, Compatibility and Specifications" page also only shows Windows 7/8.1/10.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2019 10:00

Thunderbolt 3  unlike 2 or 1 has hardware level security.

https://christian.kellner.me/2017/12/14/introducing-bolt-thunderbolt-3-security-levels-for-gnulinux/

Thunderbolt 3 — supports different security levels:

• none: No security. The behavior is identical to previous Thunderbolt versions.
  • dponly: No PCIe tunnels are created at all, but DisplayPort tunnels are allowed and will work.
  • user: Connected devices must be authorized by the user. Only then will the PCIe tunnels be activated.
  • secure: Basically the same as user mode, but additionally a key will be written to the device the first time the device is connected. This key will then be used to verify the identity of the connected device.

The active security level can normally be selected prior boot via a BIOS option, but it is interesting to note that in the future the none option is likely to go away. This of course means connected thunderbolt devices wont work at all unless they are authorized by the user from the running operating system.  Bolt is supposed to address this in linux.

Check the BIOS settings for thunderbolt security.  Then install the Bolt Package. If you pull the cable it completly disconnects the thunderbolt once the cable is unplugged. You won't see it in lspci or any other tool.

sudo apt install bolt

No Events found!