Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2016 18:00

Ubuntu 14.04 image for Dell Vostro 4580

Hi, I just bought a Vostro 4580 with Ubuntu 14.04. It has a HDD problem, and Dell is about to send a new HDD, but empty, no OS installed.

Is the Ubuntu for Dell a specialized version, or is it the same with the one in Ubuntu website?

I remembered in the first boot, I was asked if I wanted to make a backup image to a flashdisk. Can I use that to install Ubuntu? Or I should just download from the Ubuntu website?

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 18th, 2016 09:00

I would back up the hard drive image to a USB flash drive.

However, given that you write that your hard drive has a problem, who knows how good that image will be.

You should have made the backup when you first received the laptop.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2016 16:00

Thanks ieee488. I think your suggestion is good, because the HDD is still working, not a huge problem. I'm taking it.

14 Posts

January 27th, 2016 17:00

Just an FYI, there's no rule that says you need the 'default' install of ubuntu from Dell. I'm sure there might be some prepackaged stuff included, like drivers and other stuff, just like how they do a windows install.

You may end up doing a bit more work, or not. I've installed 1K's of systems with ubuntu over the years, and in most cases, it's good to go, no tinkering.

As a backup image, it might be helpful, but you'll lose any changes made since your last image. So you'll have to keep up with them.

Personally, I just make sure my personal stuff is backed up, like pictures and such. If I have to re-install, I do it fresh, because sometimes a fresh install can eliminate several issues. Having to setup the system again with my preferences takes a while, but sometimes you learn something new.

I would just backup my home directory to the flash drive (and any other outside directories you made), and just copy it into your new drive. Most of the your personal stuff, including custom configs should be carried over...

But hey, that's just me.

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

May 29th, 2018 12:00

Cannonical Non-dell customised UBUNTU 18.04 Bionic LTS (stable)

Link with latest updates pre-installed:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/bionic/daily-live/

U will see a folder with today's date, open it (DONT OPEN YESTERDAY"S FOLDER)

Download file : bionic-desktop-amd64.iso

These are generic ISOs released by Canonical, and works pretty well on  my system.

Dell customised Ubuntu images are not listed in their servers, hence u will be unable to dwnld ( even if u had ubuntu out of the box)

I am in contact with Advanced Resolution Team & they're on it!!

For now, satisfy ur thirst with the link I gave^

No Events found!