Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2007 20:00

Which Dell Bluetooth adapter (350/355/360) is well supported in Ubuntu/Linux?

Hi all,

I just got hold of an Ubuntu Inspiron 6400 (and put Gutsy on it, runs great) and would love to add an internal bluetooth adapter to it. I've googled around for the three Dell models that exist and haven't found much with regards to Linux compatibility, apart from some horror stories of things not working etc and a Vista issue where the firmware on the adapter was updated, rendering it useless in Linux...

Has anyone got just a clear 'yes adapter 3xx works perfectly' answer? Is anyone using one of these adapters without issue? I'm hoping the 360 works as it seems to be 2.1 compliant.

Warm regards,

Neil.

20 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 02:00

I can tell you for a fact that the 355 works perfectly in Gutsy and Feisty. Both distros saw it automatically and pulled the right drivers. I can even use my Sony Ericsson W810i as a bluetooth modem with no problems. Cheers Cameron

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 08:00

Thanks Cameron,

I've ordered the 355, and actually, it was the cheapest of the three on eBay for some reason! I'll post my progress with it. Why Dell don't give you the option of having it built into the system here (in the UK) I don't know...

Regards,

Neil.

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 19:00

It didn't specify but the image was without a cable. The 6400 does include the cable though. I was tinkering about before I posted the original message... ;-) Thanks again.

Neil.

20 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 19:00

Did you get an adapter with the cable or not? I know that the E1520s that didn't have the adapter at least had the cable, but the 6400 (aka the E1505) I don't remember. So you may want to check that out if you didn't get a 355 with the cable. Cheers Cameron

9 Posts

November 9th, 2007 13:00

Received the 355 adapter today and all is well. Installation was easy and Ubuntu picked it up right away. File sending/receiving to my phone works as well as using my phone as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet through it! Many thanks for the suggestion! The question that comes to mind is why don't dell include the bluetooth adapter as an option when purchasing the 6400?

Warm regards,

Neil.

Message Edited by neilius2k on 11-09-2007 03:41 PM
No Events found!