Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9380, Ubuntu 18.04, left side TB3/USB Type-C port issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm thinking about contacting support about this because it should be under warranty, but I'm worried they may blame this issue on Ubuntu.

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 9380. I'm having a problem with the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port with Power Delivery (Primary)" on the left side of the laptop, page 7 in the XPS 13 9380 Setup and Specifications PDF.

I can still charge the laptop using this port, but no other device is detected when I connect them to the computer using this port. If I plug the same devices into any other port the computer recognizes the device and I am able to use it.

The laptop came with Windows 10 Home, but I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on the first day, This port has worked in Ubuntu since I bought the laptop. It was working as recently as this morning. It only stopped working today.

Has anyone experienced any issue like this? Do you think it's software related or hardware? If I contact support will they care if I'm running Linux, or will they expect me to reinstall Windows first?

I would like to avoid installing Windows unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9380, Ubuntu 18.04, left side TB3/USB Type-C port issue

Jump to solution

Hey, good news! I noticed my firmware was at version 1.0.0 and version 1.1.1 is available on the Dell website. I downloaded the firmware and updated the firmware using the instructions found here. The firmware update completed successfully, and now all three USB-C ports function as expected!

@Nikolai Potapov, I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it may be worth a try. Good luck!

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 13 9380 Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) stopped work

Jump to solution

I have somewhat same issue. USB-C ports stopped recognizing other USB devices. Although in my case it's only Left side port #2 does work and the rest two don't. Also ALL ports do charge using provided power adaptor. And I'm still on Windows 10. 

Got a call with Dell support. Guy reinstalled drivers, checked hardware, etc - nothing did help. Seems like a rather new issue and perhaps knowledgebase doesn't have it. As a last resort it was proposed to restore to factory default which we didn't go yet as it will wipe out everything. 

I suspect that latest updates from Windows\Intel\... could have caused that issue. No solid prove though … yet. Except for a common sense:

1. When bought laptop a week ago - everything worked fine

2. After one week and whatever updates were pushed\recommended - it stopped working.

I hope it's enough description for Dell support\QE to identify the issue and fix it sooner.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9380, Ubuntu 18.04, left side TB3/USB Type-C port issue

Jump to solution

Hey, good news! I noticed my firmware was at version 1.0.0 and version 1.1.1 is available on the Dell website. I downloaded the firmware and updated the firmware using the instructions found here. The firmware update completed successfully, and now all three USB-C ports function as expected!

@Nikolai Potapov, I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it may be worth a try. Good luck!

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
I have the same problem. Where do you see which version of Thunderbolt firmware do you have? When I run fwupdmgr get-devices I get 40.00 for thunderbolt firmware version and 0.1.2.1 for system firmware version. I am not sure how this relates to version 1.1.1 you mentioned or version 4.40.08.001, A00 seen here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c25p2&oscode=wt64a&produc...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I managed to fix it for myself. After trying various things, all that I had to do is fully turn off the laptop (so shutdown option in Linux) and then turning it back on. Just rebooting it did not help. But turning it off and on did.

Few other options I tried before were choosing no security option in BIOS for Thunderbolt, rebooting, restoring. Turning Thunderbolt support off in BIOS, rebooting, restoring. I also ran "boltctl list". But it seems it did not help. But maybe it is necessary to do some of that before fully turn off for things to work, so this is why I am listing it here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

TL;DR: Run built-in diagnostics.

I guess neither firmware nor Linux kernel update are proper solutions for this issue.

Since USB ports are unavailable in EFI/BIOS, too, it is obviously not related to a specific OS or kernel version. So, the final fix will probably have to be implemented in a new firmware release. But with the latest firmware 1.2.1 the problems still exists. (Maybe, it’s a good idea to re-open this issue to let Dell staff know it’s not solved.)

My reproducible work-around is: Run Dell’s diagnostics tool (enter boot menu (F12), select “Diagnostics”). This seems to “remind” the machine of all its components. So, after that procedure USB ports come back to life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Unfortunately running the Dell Diagnostics off the boot menu didn't work for me. (My firmware is already 1.2.1 -- current as of this post.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
I have exactly the same problem, 2 of 3 ports stopped working after a week. Updating BIOS didn't help. I'v returned my Dell XPS 13 back and bought a new one (the same configuration). And guess what, the same happened to the new one. I can't find any solution to this and it's such a waste of time to set a new laptop up. Also, I need it for work, if I don't find a solution in a week I will have to return it back again. Any chance somebody figured out a solution to this problem? I have the latest BIOS firmware running on Linux.
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@pragmadash wrote:
I have exactly the same problem, 2 of 3 ports stopped working after a week. Updating BIOS didn't help. I'v returned my Dell XPS 13 back and bought a new one (the same configuration). And guess what, the same happened to the new one. I can't find any solution to this and it's such a waste of time to set a new laptop up. Also, I need it for work, if I don't find a solution in a week I will have to return it back again. Any chance somebody figured out a solution to this problem? I have the latest BIOS firmware running on Linux.

If you're having trouble specifically with Thunderbolt 3 devices rather than regular USB-C devices, there is a separate Thunderbolt 3 firmware update that is not part of the regular system BIOS/firmware update that might be worth trying.  Otherwise, this might be an issue that requires a firmware update that hasn't arrived, which sadly isn't uncommon with newly released products these days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Could you please point to this Thunderbolt 3 firmware update you've mentioned? I can't find it anywhere on the official download page.

0 Kudos