Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2022 00:00

XPS 13 Plus 9320, Ubuntu, webcam not working

XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

I have a brand new XPS 13 Plus 9320 shipped with Ubuntu. The webcam is not working. Tried the following things already =
bios update (1.10 now)
installed additional drivers using HAL library
webcam is enabled in BIOS
restored cheese
installed oem-somerville-tentacool-meta

How can this be fixed? 

6 Posts

December 27th, 2022 06:00

Hello, i have the 9320 (the windows 11 version). I installed ubuntu 22.04 and the webcam works (the oem-someville-tentacool-meta is installed once you install updates). It is the ONLY linux in which it works. (Not even in 22.10).

However, in ubuntu 22.04 i had some random glitches in the screen and the mouse randomly freeze.

It is said that the ipu6 driver (the one neccesary to make the webam usable on ubuntu, and the one which is installed by introducing the oem-somerville...) it is going to be merge in the main linux kernel...next year who nows when...

5 Posts

February 27th, 2023 12:00

Hello,

I had an xps13 9320 produced in august, which is replaced by an identical configuration in february due to touchpad issues. Strangely enough, i never had problems with the webcam of the old version, while, for the newer laptop, i don't have a working webcam, despite having exactly the same software and drivers (oem-somerville-tentacool-meta on ubuntu 22.04).

So i guess there must be a minor hardware revision that broke things on linux. The webcam works fine in windows. I documented my situation here https://github.com/intel/ipu6-drivers/issues/94

greetings,
Frank

5 Posts

February 28th, 2023 00:00

Small follow-up: webcam working fine now! Ubuntu 22.04 (or the DELL OEM packages) also ship with kernel 6.1.0, but it is not enabled by default. In the boot menu one can boot using 6.1.0 and then have a working webcam (at least for me).

1 Message

April 24th, 2023 00:00

I had a similar situation. My original 9320 worked fine, even without installing extra stuff for the webcam. Then my touchbar failed, and they replaced everything (including the touchpad), but then neither touchpad or webcam worked, so they replaced everything again. I think the webcam would have worked if they'd bothered to suggest I install the extra software for it. Then they sent me a replacement machine running Windows (they'd run out of available Ubuntu preinstalled machines), so I installed Ubuntu on top of it myself and the webcam again had failed. I then installed the extra software from the PPA and the webcam started working.

Annoyingly, they haven't setup the PPA to work with the new Ubuntu 23.04, so I'm back to no webcam.

No Events found!