Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2018 14:00

XPS Ubuntu Mouse Jumping

I've just received my Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu and it was great until I noticed the touchpad mouse jumping. I use my right index finger to scroll with the mouse, then the left index finger to click and the mouse jumps into the bottom left, usually hitting the recycle bin. It's extremely frustrating and unless there's a fix, I may have to send the machine back. It's just not practical to use it whilst this continues.

Is there a solution?

Thanks

edit: after some google-fu, I found this: If you open the terminal and type in:xinput set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Enabled" 0 this will disable the SynPS/2 Touchpad, and xinput set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Enabled" 1 to re-enable the touchpad.

The issue *may* be caused by 2 touchpad drivers being installed at the same time. If you type in 'xinput' in a terminal and hit enter, and see

DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=14 [slave pointer (2)]

Then that may be the issue (according to what i've read).

so i've disabled the Synaptics touchpad and i'm monitoring the situation. If it does fix it, then all is well with the world. It looked like a faulty touchpad but i'm hoping it's just a driver issue. Surprised that the laptop had the issue fresh out of the box though...

EDIT 2: Issue still occurring. Extremely disappointed after spending such a large amount of cash. I'm going to have to arrange a return. I cannot use it in this state. 

5 Posts

January 12th, 2018 16:00

Ok that didn't work however I found this

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput

This inverted the scrolling direction, so I also edited the entry for MatchIsTouchpad in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "NaturalScrolling" "true"
EndSection
Option "Tapping" "True"

So i'm now testing this configuration. I'll update once i've tested it thoroughly. Wish me luck.

EDIT: This SEEMS to work guys. I'm going to accept this as the solution and keep the laptop. I will write back if issue re-occurs.

And finally, I just think I should link to this - this will help you use the 'super' key, to press once and get the search box and hold the super key (aka the windows key on windows) to display a list of useful shortcuts.

So on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, open a terminal and run this:

dconf write /org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/unityshell/show-launcher "'Enabled'"

I think i've finally got my laptop running as it should. Shame it didn't come out of the box like this, but hey, if it's now working, i'm happy.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2018 13:00

Final edit: Still didn't fix it... Mouse is still jumping. I was going to put up with it but decided that after paying around £1,000 for the laptop, it shouldn't have this issue. So I am going to raise a return and send this back. I cannot waste more hours trying to figure out why it will not work.

5 Posts

January 12th, 2018 15:00

now attempting this "fix" : 

sudo apt-get install libinput

Then I edited the libinput config in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf to have this:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "True"
        Option "PalmDetection" "True"
        Option "TappingDragLock" "True"
EndSection

It's a really nice laptop but I get the feeling it wasn't tested before it was mass produced and shipped. I hope i'll be able to solve this soon or it really is going back. 

October 14th, 2018 06:00

Did you ever get the bottom of this?

It seems that the trackpad on my recently purchased 9370 Developer Edition just randomly stops responding.

I also note that that it responds in the centre to the edge if you move your finger outwards but if you do it from the edge to centre then it's completely unresponsive.

The xinput command shows me that it is running two separate trackpad drivers at the same time.  Considering that is the configuration direct from Dell that's pretty poor config.

I'm new to desktop Linux.  I'm evaluating this as a Mac replacement for our team.  I realise that a certain amount of tune would be necessary on a Linux based laptop but this is almost unusable.

Would anyone from Dell care to comment on how to tune or tweak this track pad or on which driver is the correct one, Dell or Synaptic and why are both running out of the box?

Thanks.

3 Posts

October 31st, 2018 07:00

I tried your solution on a Precision 5520 - Ubuntu 18.04 and did not work but also the configuration looks a little different

sudo cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
# Match on all types of devices but joysticks
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"