Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 09:00

how to fix MBR if needed

Hello.

I have Dell Inspiron 11z.

If i want to delete GRUB menu and restore MBR before linux installation, how do i do it?

since there's no CD drive, and i can't do FIXMBR.

By the way, suppose i do something like FIXMBR, will the "Setup F1, Boot devices F2" menu remain? is it a part of bios?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Hi benchik, What I think you can do with that disc which says operating system is to create an bootable USB stick with your OS on it.

See this journal below,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?ltr=U

Though it says Win 7, it can be any OS. Ps, You will have to use another system to do it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You'll need a USB CD drive or a flash drive that's bootable to the OS you want.

7 Posts

i want the MBR to return to the state it was before installing ubuntu. (with "Setup F1, Boot devices F2" menu)

I think the "Operating System" CD i got with the laptop, doesn't contain Win7 but only a program to boot from the restoration partition, no?

Anyway suppose i've got a USB driver bootable with ubuntu 9.10. can it be done from ubuntu live cd?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

Hi benchik, What I did when I was duel booting Win 7 and Ubuntu, and wanted to dump grub and Ubuntu. I booted off the Win 7 disc, Select Repair computer, Select Command Prompt. From there I typed in the following pressing enter after each one,

bootrec/fixboot [Enter]

bootrec/fixmbr[Enter]

bootrec/fixboot[Enter]

If you had Vista on, then you can use an Vista disc.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2009 12:00

i have a cd called "operating system" that came with the notebook.

i have no cd drive, only a usb flash drive.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Looks great!

Thanks!

No Events found!