Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2009 13:00

Dimension 4400 - Roadblocks in Attempting to load Linux/Ubuntu

A friend's Dell Dimension got horribly infected running Win XP and he would like my help switching his op/system over to Linux Ubuntu, which I have on a boot disk.  After deleting his C/drive partition (wiping the drive), when I attempt to boot from the CD drive I receive this message: "No boot device detected: System halted."  I know Ubuntu uses the CDFS file system, and XP uses NTFS.  Is there something inherent in this Dell hardware that will not permit it to run Linux?  The Ubuntu disk is good, so I am at a standstill.  I've even tried changing to the FAT system and no luck.  Anyone with an idea?  Thank you.

78 Posts

February 19th, 2009 12:00

Have you selected the CD-ROM drive to boot off of, using the F12 key during the initial Dell screen?

2 Posts

February 19th, 2009 13:00

Just to be sure, I used F12 in the boot process.  What happens is that I still get: "No boot device detected: System halted."  There is something about the Dell machine that simply does not recognize the Ubuntu disk as a boot disk.  It recognizes the Win/XP just fine.  Just doesn't like or understand Linux for whatever reason.  Right now, am still in limbo.  Thanks for your response - as I would love to find out what's behind this. 

No Events found!