Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2011 04:00

Exchange 2010 DB and Logs

Good morning Community

I have been asked by a few people if it is a best practice to isolate DB's and Logs, since I was asked by multiple people, It got me to do a search and to see what is the best practice for this. Below is what I found on Microsoft Tech net. Please feel free to provide your feedback I would love to hear what others may think on this subject.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee832792.aspx

Database and log file choices for the Exchange 2010 Mailbox server role

Database and log file options

Description

Stand-alone: supported or best practice

High availability: supported or best practice

File placement: database per log isolation

Database per log isolation refers to placing the database file and logs from the same mailbox database onto different volumes backed by different physical disks.

Best practice: For recoverability, move database (.edb) file and logs from the same database to different volumes backed by different physical disks.

Supported: Isolation of logs and databases isn't required.

File placement: database files per volume

Database files per volume refers to how you distribute database files within or across disk volumes.

Best practice: Based on your backup methodology.

Supported: When using JBOD, divide a single disk into two volumes (one for database; one for log stream).

File placement: log streams per volume

Log streams per volume refers to how you distribute database log files within or across disk volumes.

Best practice: Based on your backup methodology.

Supported: When using JBOD, divide a single disk into two volumes (one for database; one for log stream).

Best practice: When using JBOD, single database per log per volume.

Database size

Database size refers to the disk database (.edb) file size.

Supported: Approximately 16 terabytes.

Best practice:

• 200 gigabytes (GB) or less.
  • Provision for 120 percent of calculated maximum database size.

Supported: Approximately 16 terabytes.

Best practice:

• Provision for 120 percent of calculated maximum database size.

Log truncation method

Log truncation method is the process for truncating and deleting old database log files. There are two mechanisms:

• Circular logging, in which Exchange deletes the logs.
  • Log truncation, which occurs after a successful full or incremental Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) backup.

Best practice:

• Use backups for log truncation (for example, circular logging disabled).
  • Provision for three days of log generation capacity.

Best practice:

• Enable circular logging for deployments that use Exchange 2010 data protection features.
  • Provision for three days beyond replay lag setting of log generation capacity.

126 Posts

December 12th, 2011 05:00

Paul,

Thanks for sharing great points.

61 Posts

December 12th, 2011 05:00

I think some of these best practices (circular logging and isolation of DB and logs) are rather optimistic. It assumes that HA/DAG will protect from all situations where you would want to play back all or some of your logs.

In general, I still recommend that circular logging is disabled for all configurations. Past logs can come in handy when recovering from logical corruption that may have affected multiple copies in the DAG.

I also still recommend that logs and databases be isolated, for few reasons:

1. Performance: It’s much easier to meet the critical write-latency requirements for the transaction logs when the underlying disks are not also servicing database workloads

2. It’s impossible to have set of resources tuned simultaneously for semi-random large block read/write workloads and sequential, small-block, 100% write workloads.

Really, the only time I could be convinced to collocate DB/Logs would be in a JBOD configuration, or very small configuration where a couple extra disks can’t be spared for logs.

--paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2011 07:00

I am working with a Investment and Financial firm that is moving to Exchange 2010 on VBlock from Notes for a 32,000 user deployment. It will be a 3 copy implementation - 2 local and 1 remote.

As this is going to be virtualized in VMware, we were running into the 255 VMware LUN limit. Microsoft was asked to come in and assist to work around this and recommended colocating Logs and DB onto the same drive/LUN. Here is the link that they provided to justify that architecture.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee832794.aspx#One

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2011 08:00

Not implemented yet. They are just beginning the build out.

Regards,

Sam Lantto – Sr. Technical Consultant

sam.lantto@emc.com

MOB: (952) 270-7198

OFC: (952) 562-7309

FAX: (952) 828-9509

18 Posts

For Symmetrix arrays we've been advocating sharing data and log on the same spindles for quite a long time.  Depending on the HA requirements, it could be data and log from the same Exchange storage groups/databases or mixing the data and log of separate databases (Log of DB1, Database of DB2.)

For performance, everything goes through cache on the Symmetrix, so regardless of the underlying disk response time, the cache hit of the log write provides the host response time.  The small sequential log writes are also coalesced into fewer larger sequential writes and will have less of an impact on the disk as the front end/host iops number would otherwise indicate.

While the recommendation is to share data and log on the disks themselves, it is still recommended to separate the database and logs onto separate host addressable LUNs.  This way the log writes are not in the same LUN queue as the more bursty database writes (and reads for that matter) which generally have a higher response time.

This is a great question and depending on customer requirements there are lots of right answers.

126 Posts

Thanks for your input..has your customer experience any issues by doing this?

164 Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi Slantto,

Does this case also applies for the Exchange Server 2013 ?

No Events found!