Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2017 22:00

Dell venue 11 pro 7140

Hi,

If I connect a usb 3.0 charging hub to the regular size usb port, would it allow my dell to charge while at the same time act as a host to other usb devices?

2 Posts

February 9th, 2017 00:00

To answer your question, the usb 3.0 port on the tablet itself cannot  receive power, it can only give power.  Also, if you intend on using a hub to split that port I recommend using a hub that includes a separate power supply.

9.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 05:00

Hi garce,

Thanks for posting.

While a 3rd party AC adapter with a Micro-USB connection will connect to the tablet, most have only a 5 to 10 watt capability. The Venue 11 Pro 5130/713x/7140 requires a 23 watt AC adapter to charge at a normal rate. Using the Dell AC adapter and Micro-USB cable that shipped with the system is strongly recommended. Other adapters may charge the device but only in trickle mode (this can take up to 24 hours to charge the device when in an off state. If the tablet is on, trickle charge will likely not be sufficient to prevent battery discharge, even with the 3rd party adapter attached).

11 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 08:00

My question is different. My dell venue 11 pro 7140 has a microUSB port that is used with the dell charger. There is also a USB 3.0 Type A port (traditionally USB shaped port for connecting a memory stick for example). Can I use a charging station connected to USB Type A port to charge the dell venue 11?

9.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 10:00

garce,

While using it that way may work, it's not recommended as per the information I sent you previously.

Besides, I don't think that's really going to charge your battery.

I mean, yes, your battery is going to get some sort of charge from the USB 3.0 port, but you're still pulling from the same source and sending it right back. You're doing nothing beneficial.

Heck, you might even be draining the battery even faster if you weren't recycling power (is that what we can call it?): while the USB 3.0 port might only provide say 0.5A, it might take 0.6A to actually power up the port and send power through it.

No Events found!