Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 30th, 2003 20:00

1703fp vertical banding and general poor quality

I received my dimension 8300 today. It has the radeon 9800 GPU and the1703fp monitor.

The monitor has 4 horizontal blue bands down it and they 'smudge' when i pass other windows thru them.  The places where there is no bands has general poor blue quality. Ive tried downloading drivers but they dont help. It is connected through the digital port.

I have tried adjusting the clock and phase in the monitor menu but this doesnt help.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. It is really annoying me!

Thanks,

Chris.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2003 20:00

They also only appear in windows and not in dos or when the computer is starting up.

526 Posts

October 31st, 2003 07:00

try checking your monitor with the software

Monitors Matter CheckScreen
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html

7 Posts

October 31st, 2003 07:00

I uninstalled my video drivers and the problem changed from the bands I see now, to exactly half the screen being a light blue colour (darker in the middle, fading out towards the left) .

Does that help anyone solving my problem?

7 Posts

October 31st, 2003 11:00

I just plugged my monitor into a friends pc and it works fine so its definetly a GPU issue. Do I need new drivers? I tried the ones on the Dell site, the ones on the disk, and the ATI catalyst 3.6 drivers/ None made any improvement and the catalyst ones made it about 50 times worse!

Any ideas?

7 Posts

October 31st, 2003 13:00

Can anyone from dell offer me some advice? Its definetly a video card issue, I just dont know what to do!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 31st, 2003 16:00

chrisb_22,

* Does this issue also occur in safemode?
* Restart the computer
* At the first beep (older systems) or on the blue Dell screen (new systems), tap the F8 key (do not hold it down)
* At some point, the Advanced Options menu will appear
* Scroll to and select Safe Mode [Hit the Enter Key]
* Windows will start in Safe Mode. Close any boxes that may open, just get to the desktop

7 Posts

November 1st, 2003 07:00

OK, i got into safe mode through msconfig. In safe mode it looks exactly like it did when I uninstalled the video card drivers (exactly half the screen is a light blue colour, darkest in the middle, fading out towards the left) but it removed the think vertical bands.

7 Posts

November 1st, 2003 07:00

Thanks for the reply.

I cant get into safe mode. Pressing F8 only lets me choose which operating system I wish to use and there is no other options. I cant find it by pressing F12 either..

No Events found!