Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2007 19:00

1905FP - No Power

Hi!  I left my computer on last night, downloading a book from audible.com.  When I got up this morning, it was locked up.  I used task manager to shut it down/restart.  Since I did that, everything went to you know where in the proverbial handbasket!  First it seemed as though the computer wasn't booting at all; the fans would  come on, but there was no hard drive noise and no beeps.  Now, I am getting noise and beeps, but I appear to not have power to my monitor.  There are no lights at all and it is making a strange, very quiet, kind of clicking noise.  I have unplugged all cables and plugged them back in and I have tried a different power outlet.  Nothing!  The monitor is about 18 months old and I have had no problems with it at all.  There were no power surges or anything that I am aware of last night.
I don't have another monitor to check unless I can hook up my laptop somehow.
Help!  Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2007 01:00

nanuq,

Try the monitor on the laptops blue VGA. Make sure you press the monitor Input select button to switch over to VGA. What are the results?

7 Posts

November 23rd, 2007 17:00

Hi Chris, thanks for replying.  I plugged the monitor into my laptop and the laptop seems to recognize it, but there is still (apparently) no power to the monitor.  There is no image, no lights and pressing the power button does nothing.

What would my next step be?

If you know what is wrong, can you tell me why it would happen?

Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2007 22:00

nanuq,

If under warranty, get it replaced. If you have a service tag number associated with your monitor, you may use Chat or Email support to setup the monitor exchange. If you only have an Order number associated with the monitor, you must call in, 1-800-624-9896. They will need the following information -
20 digit PPID number on back of monitor
Name, address, phone, email address
Order number
Issue
Troubleshooting done

7 Posts

November 25th, 2007 14:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your ongoing asistance.  So, my monitor is no longer under warranty (I only had one year).  Seeing as there is nothing to be lost at this point, is there any repairs I can attempt on my own?

Nanuq

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2007 22:00

nanuq,

Since we do not repair them, I have no data to offer you. You might check around for local monitor repair store.

7 Posts

December 8th, 2007 02:00

OK - so I know you don't do repairs, but...

Took the monitor apart - found two blown capacitors.  Had them replaced.  Now, when I put everything together...there are no lights at the power led, however, when monitor is plugged in, it is like the backlight is on or something; the screen is kind of a light grey colour.  Does this make sense?  In your troubleshooting experience, can you tell me what this might indicate?

Thanks.  Too broke to afford new monitor yet, so trying every angle I can :-)

1.7K Posts

December 24th, 2007 21:00

Where were the blown caps? Power supply or inverter? Did you find burnt resistors?

7 Posts

December 24th, 2007 23:00

Wow - you;ve stumped me.  The two capacitors were on the larger of the two boards; one was badly blown, the other just "puffed up".  I did not find burnt resistors, but I may not really know what I am looking for :-)
Any help is marvellous - thank you!

1.7K Posts

December 25th, 2007 00:00

The one that the power plug goes to is the power supply, the other board is the inverter. The inverter board will have more plugs on it. You've gotten past most people if you've replaced caps. the problem is if a cap is blown, other components usually are.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2007 22:00

Well...(is my inexperience showing yet?).  This isn't an exact picture but:

This is a pic of a 1702 and I have a 1905FP.  However, the board on the right in this picture is the one that had the problem.  The plug in socket leads to this board and then it has a ribbon connector to the other board.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and I really appreciate your help and input.  Thanks!!

1.7K Posts

December 28th, 2007 02:00

That is quite different from yours. That one uses a brick power supply. But anyways, did you blow the large axial cap on the board or one of the smaller radial caps at the top? If it was the big one, the ic to the left of it on the metal heatsink is probably bad. I'd also ohm out the resitors below the heatsink. Good soldering is important in this area so take your time.

7 Posts

March 30th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, that all is beyond my limited electronic capabilities.  If I took it to a repair place and told them everything I've done, how much would I likely expect to pay for repair?

No Events found!