Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

February 17th, 2014 18:00

2007FP, How do I remove my burnt-in image?

Hello all: A short while ago I noticed on my DELL 20" 2007FPb LCD monitor (VGA connection) that the Earthlink toolbar at the top of the screen is burnt-in or image retention. The outline of the toolbar is what is seen, in black lines against a blue sky.  I usually have the desktop on for approx. 10-12 hours and the Earthlink toolbar as well as the other toolbars are always visible but, for some reason, only the space where the Earthlink toolbar is located is the only one that leaves its "frame" visible on the desktop before I go online. Is it possible to somehow remove the skeletal black burnt-in outline?  Since I'm not a techy, please use non-techy language. I took a picture of the Earthlink toolbar but I don't see an upload link.

105 Posts

February 18th, 2014 02:00

This can really be a huge problem for non-techy individuals like us. )

Here are some solutions that you can try.

• Disconnect/reconnect the data cable at the monitor and graphics card
  • Try refreshing at a faster pace.
  • Try Dell monitor's self test feature. Look around in the OSD to see if the test can be done.

These are all that I can think of. Hope these steps will help.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

February 18th, 2014 17:00

After reading your suggestions you ARE a techie!

1. I can disconnect/reconnect the VGA cable but I have no idea what  a graphics card is and where it's located.  I really don't want to mess with the hardware but I'm willing to learn if it would be a sure cure.

2. I don't know about refreshing rates and what effect it would have on the PC's normal operation.  Or how to access the refreshing feature.

3. I looked at the monitor's OSD and there was no mention of how to fix image retention.

I read that displaying a white image or a TV-like display static but I also read that leaving a white screen on for an extended period could lead to pixel damage or something to that effect.  Othe similar fixes have been offered but almost all of them say doing so requires a long-time effort.

While in use it is not a factor 'cause there will always be a top-edge toolbar.  But if I were to replace the monitor and wanted to sell it on the bay, mentioning the burnt-image, regardless of how faint it is, would bring a lower price and it is a great monitor, at least for my simple needs.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 9th, 2014 18:00

A couple of answers were provided but nothing I can take to the bank.  I still have this problem and I seem to be the only one because I have not received a common sense, logical, reasonable solution.  Surely, others have or have had this problem and they may have received a solution.  How about some DELL techie piping in?  It's a problem that DELL should be aware of and should have a ready solution.  I looked at the introductory page for the Monitor's forum and the instructions given for Test, etc., are confusing to say the least.  Is this it for me?

The videos on YouTube require hours of leaving the monitor on with various kinds of images and I selected one that didn't help.

HELP!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2014 22:00

Optixian,

The monitor is 8 years old. Your expectations about what can or cannot be done to fix the image must be realistic. Components will not last forever.

* Go into your operating system power management settings and set it so the monitor does not turn off and does not use a screensaver
* Go here:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/downloaddell/montest.exe

* Save the file to your windows desktop
* Run montest
* Press F9
* Let it run for 30 minutes
* Press Esc
* Press Enter to exit

If that does not help purge the image, there is nothing that you can do.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 9th, 2014 23:00

Hi Chris: thanks for your helpful reply.  I can't wait to go thru the procedure but I need an explanation of something first.  Please tell me how to perform your first suggestion: "Go into your operating system power management settings and set it so the monitor does not turn off and does not use a screensaver"

I have no idea where the "operating system power management settings" are located and what do I see there that will allow me to achieve this: "...so the monitor does not turn off and does not use a screensaver"

Once I can do the above I can follow the rest of your instructions.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 10th, 2014 08:00

What operating system are you running?

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 10th, 2014 21:00

DELL Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3.40 GHz, 80 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB RAM, 32 Bit, Windows XP Professional.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 11th, 2014 07:00

* Click Start- Run- Control Panel
* Control Panel has two views
If you are in Theme View double click on "Performance and Maintenance"
If you are in Classic View, simply double click on "Power Options"
* Choose the following -
Home/office Desk
Never
Never
Never
Never
* Click Apply- Ok

After you are finished with the montest.

* Click Start- Run- Control Panel
* Control Panel has two views
If you are in Theme View double click on "Performance and Maintenance"
If you are in Classic View, simply double click on "Power Options"
* Choose the following -
Home/office Desk
3 minutes
5 minutes
Never
Never
* Click Apply- Ok

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 12th, 2014 19:00

Thanks for the instructions and the links, I have printed the instructions and will follow them in the next day or so because I want to do them correctly.  I'll report to you when I'm done, please be patient.

Edward

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 14th, 2014 19:00

Okay, I'll admit defeat, I give up, etc.  The montest ran for an hour and it didn't change the image retention. Fortunately, there's always a bar at the top so I don't see the ghostly image and when I use the monitor full screen I have to ignore the image although it doesn't really detract from whatever I would watch.

I really appreciate your valuable help and it was definitely worth the effort for me.  I learned along the way.  Now, to find another one as I really like this monitor model.

Thanks.

Ed

No Events found!