Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2011 19:00

2407WFPb monitor dead: power switch appears to be good

Hi,

In trying to remove the small speaker unit from my 3+yo 2407WFPb, I (very gently) turned the monitor over and in doing so, lost all power and now get no response at all: no power light, nothing. Ran through all of the posts re: a broken power switch; mine seems to be fine.

Is there any way to diagnose any fo the internal boards (power, logic, inverter) to get a guess at what the issue might be? It's 9 months past warrantee and "Support" simply offered to sell me a new one; would love to salvage it if at all possible.

-j

8 Posts

January 31st, 2011 10:00

Hi,

Point of interest: (mostly for those of you with a Dell 2407WFP which may be out of warrantee):

I lost all power suddenly a few weeks back. Being out of warrantee; I was on my own. Power switch itself appeared fine (it "clicked" OK); just no power or lights anywhere.

Stumbled upon some very good\helpful folks down in TX, that repair LCDs; when I called down and described the problem; they indicated that there was a 90% chance that it was simply the power board, which is a $60 part (versus the several hundred to replace).

So, following the very good disassembly instructions as per:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXAQxwCTuuI,

I simply: removed the stand, pulled the bezel, unscrewed the 4 stand screws, opened up the back and removed the power board; 5-6 screws and a few pop-out quick-connect power connectors. Total of 20 mins and $60 and she's good as new! (sure beats dumping a monitor that I really liked and paid >$500 for!).

The TX folks will also repair a monitor for a flat rate of $90 for a 24" (plus shipping). Was very impressed that they didn't try to sell me the moon. http://www.lcdrepair.us/index.html

-J

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 19th, 2011 08:00

I am a confused. The monitor does not have an internal speaker. What were you removing?

8 Posts

January 19th, 2011 10:00

Hi,

Yes, thats right. I had purchased the external AS501 add-on speaker unit that attaches to the bottom of the monitor. I never really use them (I added a set of larger ones later) so was trying to figure out how to remove them (it turns out they snap on, via a left-right clip array).

So not sure if in turning the monitor upside down (again, I was very careful) if I had hit a button or not, or if it just happened to be conincidence that the power board went (if that is indeed what went), Was hoping there would be a fuse or a reset button, which I'm now guessing there is not. So am hoping that the diagnostic characteristics (no power at all, including the little green light, power button unit seems to be intact; still pushes in\out), could help suggest the sequqential approach of board replacement that could help me get it revived.

I see that power, logic and inverter boards are still available; any sense at all if starting with the power supply would make a reasonable first effort?

Many thanks,

John

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 19th, 2011 20:00

* Disconnect the power cord from the monitor
* Disconnect all monitor cords from the PC (USB, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, etc.)
* While disconnected, press and hold the monitor power button down for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* What happens when you press the monitor power button?

8 Posts

January 19th, 2011 21:00

Hi,

Unfortunately, nothing. No response.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2011 05:00

I would weigh the cost of repairing versus just replacing.

8 Posts

January 20th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

Yes, have been. I've found power boards for $60 on EBay.... about the same for logic and inverter boards. Having paid over $500 for this unit, if I can get it going for $100+ would strongly prefer that.  ($ is a bit tight right now).

From your experience, do the symptoms ellicit a problem that you've encountered before? Any experience with folks who have replaced the power board and had success? Any idea if the problem might be deeper?

Found a website for a place in TX that claims they will repair a flat panel for a flat fee: $90 for a 24" (plus shipping), which I'm also considering.

Any other advice you could share?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2011 09:00

When issues like this came up, we simply replaced while under warranty. I was not privy to the failure analysis.

8 Posts

January 20th, 2011 10:00

Ok, thanks.

I was hoping that with topics like the broken power button getting so much web traffic (including How To videos) that this type of failure might have a ring of familiarity.

Will keep looking.

Appreciate your help

-j

No Events found!