Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2011 14:00

2407WFPb panel replacement

I have the 2407WFPb monitor.  I have cracked the panel.  It looks like a Technicolor spyder web when on and when off it looks normal.  That is, it is the internal panel that is cracked, not the surface screen.  This post: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19364850.aspx talks about a replacement panel being available.  The Dell parts guy I talked to only wanted to sell me a new monitor and claimed Dell had no replacement panels.  So the question is, is that correct and if so does anyone know where I might find a replacement panel? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 09:00

We only do whole monitor exchanges while under warranty. That was a 3rd party company offering panel replacement exchanges.

December 12th, 2011 17:00

We only do whole monitor exchanges while under warranty. That was a 3rd party company offering panel replacement exchanges.

This doesn't solve my problem, or even make me understand what my options are.  Is it that Dell provides no support, that is, no replacement parts after the warranty expires?  Or is it that when under warranty you don't supply parts but instead exchange whole monitors, leaving the question about out of warranty monitors unaddressed? 

In this case the monitor was made in June of 2006 and is clearly out of warranty.

As I said originally, the parts guy I spoke to, at Dell, had no interest in discussing anything but selling me a new monitor.

I have found 3rd party vendors offering what they claim to be new panels of the same part number (Samsung I believe was the manufacturer) for around $300, which is about half the cost of a new comparable Dell whole monitor (and also less than a Dell refurbished 2408WFP, on the occasion that they are available from your outlet).  So is it that I have to go to a 3rd party to get support?

The obvious alternative is to buy a new monitor but from a different manufacturer.

58 Posts

December 13th, 2011 03:00

I suggest you go for a new monitor - new screen, new boards/components, new everything. In my experience it would be pointless paying a lot of money for a brand new screen to be connected to 5 1/2 year old internals. I often buy faulty monitors and TV's to repair although I steer clear of any with a broken screen - too costly to repair, that is if I can even source a replacement.

No Events found!