Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 24th, 2008 05:00

2408WFP Power save mode problem

Hi, i have a system with the dell 2408wfp on DVI and ati 9600pro graphics card on windows xp pro.

1) once windows is idle and sends the monitor into power save mode, moving the mouse or pressing on the keyboard will not wake the monitor up. only a reboot will fix it. this does not happen when using the vga connector or on the dvi->vga converter.

2) not only that, i have to have the dell powered up before powering up my computer. if i power up the computer 1st and later power on the 2408wfp, there will be no signal to the monitor as well and get stuck in power save mode.

3) lastly, when i tried to isolate the problem further by setting the windows "turn off monitor" setting to never to ensure that the monitor will never power off. then i switched inputs to another input, then immediately switching back to the DVI being used results in the same power save mode issue.

i have tried updating my graphics drivers to the latest ones already. the power save issue is resolved for one instance after the reboot, but comes back after i switch inputs.

what could be the problem here? thanks

8 Posts

March 31st, 2008 20:00

I myself am having this exact same issue. But I have found a workaround that works for me.

It seems that the problem is indeed a conflict or slight incompatibility with the 2408WFP and older VGA cards. I myself am using an Ati 9800 Pro and installing the latest drivers (Catalyst 8.3) did nothing for me. I don't know the exact details but it seems the 2408WFP needs an extra impulse or perhaps a current surge that older VGA cards cannot/won't produce when REconnecting to it through DVI. What I am going to show is NOT a fix, it is just a little trick to mimick this impulse. The only real fix is to get a newer VGA card (or a newer 2408WFP revision).

Steps that I don't know of if they are necessary but I did it. Just for reference.

-3. Uninstall all current display drivers

-2. Reboot into "safe mode" and run a tool like http://www.drivercleaner.net/ to remove every trace of the old drivers (prolly not really needed, but I always like to be sure nothing is left behind).

-1. Reboot to normal desktop and install the latest drivers, I got Catalyst 8.3 Display Drivers only (I hate Ati Control Center).

These steps ARE necessary.

1. Install ATI Tray Tools (http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/)

2. Menu > Hot Keys > Enable Hot Keys (make sure it is checked)

3. Menu > Hot Keys > Customize

4. Add new Hot Key

5. Miscellaneous > Reload display driver
6. Assign a Hot Key (I used ALT + T) > Ok

Now every time your monitor goes into "power save mode" you can revive it by pressing ALT + T (you can use any keys you want ofcourse). This also works if you have completely powered off your 2408WFP with the button on the monitor.

This has ONLY been tested with Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate with Catalyst 8.3 (Display Drivers Only) and an Ati 9800 Pro.

REMEMBER, this is by no means a fix and I can't guarantee it will work for you. Good luck

Message Edited by PayBas on 03-31-2008 05:38 PM

March 31st, 2008 21:00

@CrymsonArray wrote:

@tomsurfer what is your sharpness setting in the dell and are using cleartype font smoothing?

I use cleartype, but it has no effect on the red/greenblue colouring.
HOWEVER sharpness really does have an effect. My setting for sharpness is 50 if I put it up to 75 or 100 the effect is worse - ie more characters are discoloured. If I put it to 0 the colouring goes away but the visibility is poor fo me so it is no good. At 25 the colouring is less obvious, but The characters are a bit too soft for my liking. I will leave it at 25 for a while to see  if I can get used to it.

March 31st, 2008 21:00

@PayBas wrote:

It seems that the problem is indeed a conflict or slight incompatibility with the 2408WFP and older VGA cards. I myself am using an Ati 9800 Pro and installing the latest drivers (Catalyst 8.3) did nothing for me.

I previously stated that I used a 9800 pro and 8.3 fixed my problem.

To be more precise I am using a 9800 pro ALL IN WONDER with a single DVI output, this may work differently to a standard 9800 pro.

Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-31-2008 05:26 PM

8 Posts

April 1st, 2008 22:00

I fixed the problem by upgrading from an ATI 9800 Pro to an ATI X1950 Pro, cost me 50 bucks but the problem is gone.

133 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 05:00

thanks for the great workaround using the ati tray tools, i will go try it out. but wont resetting the monitor driver reset all the dual screen settings, etc for the driver as well?

hmmm ok does changing a new graphics card fix the power off and power on issue? as in pressing the button to off and on the monitor while the pc is on, not the orange led power save mode issue. 

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 14:00

Yes, a newer video card should fix all of the power save mode issues.

Joe

8 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 08:00

Yes, after upgrading to my new ATI X1950 Pro the power save problems are gone.

PC goes to sleep mode (or stand-by) and turns off the monitor >>> move mouse / keyboard >>> monitor turns on.

Turn monitor off with the putton (or completely unplug the powercable) >>> turn back on >>> monitor shows desktop.

Turn monitor on 10 minutes after turning PC on and monitor shows desktop.

So the problem is 100% fixed... but it did cost me extra cash :(. Luckily, I can now play most 2y old games at 1920 x 1200 which is fantastic ofcourse.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2008 09:00

Chris - have this power saving resume problems also for server Dell Dimension 8400 with ATI Radeon X300SE

(Vista problem only - works fine when booting second install XP OS). Have all reported problems from

various resumes.

Are you sure investing in a new graphic card like NVidia 8800 GT will solve problem and not related to

2408 ? Would it not be a good idear Dell provided a list of cards compatible with 2408 ?

Brgds

(2408 A00 Czeck Rep)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 11:00

Summary so far -

Will not wakeup using DVI and the following video cards -
Ati 9600 Pro
Ati X800 Pro
Ati X600
Ati 9800 Pro
Ati X300SE
GeForce 8800 GTS

Workaround 1
There are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.

Workaround 2
2. Menu- Hot Keys- Enable Hot Keys (make sure it is checked)
3. Menu- Hot Keys- Customize
4. Add new Hot Key
5. Miscellaneous- Reload display driver
6. Assign a Hot Key (I used ALT + T)- Ok
Now every time your monitor goes into "power save mode" you can revive it by pressing ALT + T (you can use any keys you want of course). This also works if you have completely powered off your 2408WFP with the button on the monitor.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 04-03-2008 07:19 AM

133 Posts

April 4th, 2008 13:00

@Anonymous-ChrisM wrote:
Summary so far -

Will not wakeup using DVI and the following video cards -
Ati 9600 Pro
Ati X800 Pro
Ati X600
Ati 9800 Pro
Ati X300SE
GeForce 8800 GTS

Workaround 1
There are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.

Workaround 2
2. Menu- Hot Keys- Enable Hot Keys (make sure it is checked)
3. Menu- Hot Keys- Customize
4. Add new Hot Key
5. Miscellaneous- Reload display driver
6. Assign a Hot Key (I used ALT + T)- Ok
Now every time your monitor goes into "power save mode" you can revive it by pressing ALT + T (you can use any keys you want of course). This also works if you have completely powered off your 2408WFP with the button on the monitor.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 04-03-2008 07:19 AM

thanks ChrisM for providing the list of cards incompatible. i will go check out the workaround and what it does. regarding workaround 1, the options are the "reduce frequency on high resolution displays" and "alternate dvi frequency" right? i've tried all possible combinations of the options and do not work for 9600pro on my machine.

thanks 

133 Posts

April 12th, 2008 06:00

sorry for the long absence. i have tested the workaround using ati tray tools. it works! thanks alot to PayBas for the solution. anyway i have to press the shortcut key 3 times before the monitor wakes up. pressing once or twice the shortcut doesnt work. but oh well it works.

April 16th, 2008 07:00

I have a Dimension 9150 with ATI Radeon X600 card, running Windows XP Media Centre SP2. Had exactly the power-save problems described by others. Following DELL-ChrisM's post I was expecting to have to change my graphics card. As a last resort I downloaded from AMD/ATI the latest catalyst drivers (Catalyst v8.3, drivers v6.14.10...) and to my surprise this seems to have solved the problem: I can now connect with DVI, turn on and off the monitor and use Windows power-saving to blank the screen after 15 minutes. In all cases so far the signal is resumed and the monitor re-awakens as it should.

Amazing!

Mike 

133 Posts

April 16th, 2008 11:00

@Mike Gatehouse wrote:

I have a Dimension 9150 with ATI Radeon X600 card, running Windows XP Media Centre SP2. Had exactly the power-save problems described by others. Following DELL-ChrisM's post I was expecting to have to change my graphics card. As a last resort I downloaded from AMD/ATI the latest catalyst drivers (Catalyst v8.3, drivers v6.14.10...) and to my surprise this seems to have solved the problem: I can now connect with DVI, turn on and off the monitor and use Windows power-saving to blank the screen after 15 minutes. In all cases so far the signal is resumed and the monitor re-awakens as it should.

Amazing!

Mike 

thats 2 users that upgraded to cat 8.3 and had their power save issues solved. impressive. will try it out if i have the time...

8 Posts

April 16th, 2008 14:00

Having something you paid for working like it should is not amazing :smileywink:

5 Posts

April 19th, 2008 03:00

I too have had the dreaded power save problem with my new 2408WFP - or, to be more correct now that I have read this thread, with the graphics card driving my new 2408WFP.

My card is an ATI Radeon 9250 (it was in my Acer machine when I bought it). The worst effect it had on me was to throw the monitor into power save mode during boot up (it seems there is a relatively short period during Windows XP boot when there is no signal to the monitor). On about one boot out of five the monitor went into power save mode and become impossible to get out of it again. Also if the monitor was turned off and on again, etc as mentioned by others.

Following the advice of ChrisM above, I downloaded and installed Catalyst from the ATI site (the route to follow is to find the download for the driver for your graphics card, and the download will be Catalyst, including the driver).

I removed the two ticks under DVI settings at the bottom of the Digital Panel Properties page and everything now seems to work.

And one final word - I love the monitor! 

Thanks ChrisM. 

No Events found!