Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 09:00

2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?

I have read numerous posts and seen multiple people that claim to have recieved a 2408WFP revision A01.

However, none seem to know what exactly has changed.

The color banding?

The pink hue?

The weird color setting under Windows?

The input lag?

edit: just quick summary:

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
rscot01,

I would wait until at least the 20th of May.

@DELL-Jimmy_P wrote:

Ok folks, here is the official word.

While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support.

Message Edited by PayBas on 05-24-2008 06:33 AM

9 Posts

July 1st, 2008 15:00

Haha, well, yes, Gary. I didn't say the monitor IS perfect or even acceptable. Most of the monitors we're discussing are near perfect, with just a few flaws that may make them completely unacceptable if you're demanding maximum quality.

91 Posts

July 1st, 2008 15:00

Thanks for the info on the NEC!  I would be using it for graphic design work and never for gaming, movies, etc, so the input lag wouldn't bother me...unless i move my pen and 3 seconds later the brush or whatever tool moves on.  But I will need a much larger desk! I will have 2 24s and a 26! 

11 Posts

July 1st, 2008 18:00

curtis_rick, please try it somewhere before you buy it. There are a lot of people like me, who don't game and have found input lag unbearable in windows use due to delayed mouse pointer. I have a Wacom tablet and it is even more pronounced with it. Some people don't notice that at all, so you GOT to try it for yourself first.

91 Posts

July 1st, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the heads up quenteen!  I will check it out, a pronounced lag with the tablet would drive me nuts! I had a high resolution painter file lagging with a large brush size and it made me crazy enough I ceased the project.  I will try before I buy for sure...thanks again...maybe I am being driven into the several thousand dollar Eizo corner!

9 Posts

July 1st, 2008 19:00

From what i'm aware, the lag on the NEC's is "2 frames" which should work out to about 33ms (2/60). That's pretty average, isn't it? I'm not even sure that should be noticable by humans. The 2407wfp-hc and BenQ FP241W have that much lag. For measurements of a number of popular models, check the bottom of this review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_2408wfp.htm . The NEC 2690 is listed there, and you can see how it compares to the others.

Make sure, when you try it, that you're not connected through some multi-display system in a store that will increase the lag in a manner inappropriate for representation.

What does Eizo have? :o

Message Edited by Corrodias on 07-01-2008 03:58 PM

91 Posts

July 1st, 2008 20:00

Thanks Corrodias, a few frames wouldn't do me wrong, but I will check it out before dropping coin.

Eizo has this http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg241w/index.asp

this http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg301w/index.asp

this one looks promising from a cursory scan http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/hd2442w/index.asp

as do the others from this model upward in the FlexScan line.

11 Posts

July 1st, 2008 22:00

This has been posted before, but it is great way to check if lag bothers you without actually trying 2408wfp:

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mouselaggn6.swf

Set the slider to about 60ms of lag and move the mouse around (inside the rectangular area).

11 Posts

July 1st, 2008 23:00

Boyd,

You said you have 2407wfp, maybe you meant to say 2408wfp? 2407wfp doesn't have big lag.

Also, have you tried this test directly on 2408? If you did than you can notice the lag because 60 + 60 = 120ms of lag which is very noticable, but you may not notice default 60ms on your monitor itself, atleast not until you directly compare it to no lag monitor. This test is meant to be tried on fast CRT or TN-s, otherwise it doesen't make sense since you are adding up two lags. It is really very subjective, out of few people that I asked to try my 2408wfp some didn't notice anything wrong but some found lag hard to bear with. I personaly couldn't stand it and I sold my 2408wfp after two months, but I can vouch this flash example it correct.

552 Posts

July 1st, 2008 23:00

@quenteen wrote:

This has been posted before, but it is great way to check if lag bothers you without actually trying 2408wfp:

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mouselaggn6.swf

Set the slider to about 60ms of lag and move the mouse around (inside the rectangular area).

I have a 2407WFP with the mouse settings quite fast so as to move across the entire screen without any wrist motion.

I looked at the above example of the mouse lag and did notice it in the example. I do not have it at all on my screen when using the system.

I do however, have all the other issues related to this monitor.

Hope this helps.

552 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 00:00

@quenteen wrote:

Boyd,

You said you have 2407wfp, maybe you meant to say 2408wfp? 2407wfp doesn't have big lag.

Also, have you tried this test directly on 2408? If you did than you can notice the lag because 60 + 60 = 120ms of lag which is very noticable, but you may not notice default 60ms on your monitor itself, atleast not until you directly compare it to no lag monitor. This test is meant to be tried on fast CRT or TN-s, otherwise it doesen't make sense since you are adding up two lags. It is really very subjective, out of few people that I asked to try my 2408wfp some didn't notice anything wrong but some found lag hard to bear with. I personaly couldn't stand it and I sold my 2408wfp after two months, but I can vouch this flash example it correct.

My apologies. I should have said 2408WFP. This is the monitor I tested it on. I tested it a 60 as instructed and found it to not demonstate any lag that I noticed. The Dell 2408WFP is the monitor I am using.

It is only about 3 months old. I had a 2407WFP that failed after 8 months. Would not come on at all and Dell replaced it with the 2408WFP. I thought, how nice of Dell, and then I had a second thought.

While it does not display the lag that so many seem to, or I just don't notice it, there are all the other issues present with this monitor.

I have a 3 year warranty with 2 years left, so as soon as Dell gets all this straightened out, back goes the 2408WFP.

Again, sorry for the typo. Hope this helps.

9 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 00:00

Thanks for linking that, quenteen! For me, 33ms is... noticeable, and just annoying enough to make me think about other options.

Uh... does anybody SELL that HD2442W? I can't find any reviews, but it sounds fantastic. But then, i'm having trouble finding any serious reviews for the CG241W, too. :( 

9 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 17:00

ToastyX was not pleased with the issues with the Eizo HD2441W (with pictures to back up his claims), and i have little hope for the 2442 to be much better. It does have its "thru" mode, which supposedly reduces input lag to 16ms, but nobody has actually seen it yet to determine whether this makes sacrifices on what may or may not be the high quality of the image in other modes.

The CG241 has around 40ms input lag, so i might as well go for the NEC 2490 if i determine that to be acceptable. I say it has 40ms because the HD2441W was measured at about 40ms and Eizo told another poster that the CG241 has the same lag as the other models, if i remember correctly.

I've done many hours of reading of forums and reviews and have come to the conclusion that the only acceptable option in the 24-26" range is the NEC 2490 (for sRGB) or NEC 2690 (for wide-gamut... if you get lucky and get one without the issues that ToastyX keeps getting). The input lag is somewhere around 33ms.

There are no other "flawless" options until you jack the price range up over $10,000 for extremely specialized monitors, and then i didn't even bother to read much about those.

There's a chance Dell's 30" has potential, though. I need to do more research on that size range.

Message Edited by Corrodias on 07-02-2008 04:12 PM

105 Posts

July 4th, 2008 10:00

i use a samsung 244T at work which gets 5 ratings everywhere I look, and I get similar issues as the 2408 such as halo text in windows under certain applications. I really dont see why the 2408 is blasted so much by you people, if you want a pro monitor spend $2000, if you want a fantastic mid level monitor then settle for the 2408. You get what you pay for...

4 Posts

July 4th, 2008 15:00

Got my 2408WFP rev a00 yesterday and it looks perfect, but input lag makes it unplayable.. I have no problem playing fps games on my new SP2208WFP. i can not return 2408WFT because my wife love it and she doesent play fps games so..

552 Posts

July 4th, 2008 15:00

@Thomas_A wrote:
Got my 2408WFP rev a00 yesterday and it looks perfect, but input lag makes it unplayable.. I have no problem playing fps games on my new SP2208WFP. i can not return 2408WFT because my wife love it and she doesent play fps games so..

Hello Thomas_A, You wrote "Got my 2408WFP rev a00".    Is this mistated?

Is it yours or is it the wife's?

If it were mine, and I didn't like it, I would send it back.

If it's the wife's and she likes it, then she would keep it.

Just kidding, I understand how wives can be.

I also have a 2408WFP and I don't play games either. It has all the issues

that others have mentioned but not the input lag. This does seem odd to me.

I also, have chosen to keep mine, at least for now. I can live with all the issues

and understand why others cannot.

When Dell sorts all these issues out, I will then ask for a replacement for the 2408WFP.

No Events found!