Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2012 04:00

3meter cable for a U3011?

I need at least a 3meter cable for my U3011 monitor are their any you can recommend. I have bought 2 different 3meter DVI-D dual link cables. Unfortunately both produced poor screen resolution. Text was almost eligible.   

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

September 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi BigZ31,

The poor resolution on the monitor may be due to a cable issue, settings of the monitor or graphic settings on the computer. Since you have already tried two different cables (DVI-d) it may be related to the graphic settings on the computer.

Let us check the technical specifications of your monitor to verify its display capabilities (Refer to the image below):

Display Connectors: Display Port (4), DVI (5), VGA (6) and HDMI (7)
For a DVI input source, the optimal display resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
(Note: Monitor is fairly capable of producing a good video output, if the computer's graphics are capable)

I recommend you the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Run MS Fix-It
Solve Windows display quality issues: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Windows_Display_Quality_Diagnostics/
2. If issue persists, please configure the monitor's 'Refresh Rate' at 60 Hz (Follow the steps listed below)
- Click the 'Start/Pearl' icon
- Click 'Control Panel'
- Click 'Appearance and Themes' (Windows XP)
- Click 'Appearance and Personalization' > ''Personalization' (Windows 7)
- Click 'Display Settings'
- Click 'Advanced Settings'
- Click 'Monitor' tab
- Select 'Refresh Rate' as 60 Hz
- Click 'Apply'
Note: If you don't apply the changes within fifteen seconds, the refresh rate will revert back to your original setting

3. Try another cable to check if that works
Try using a VGA, HDMI or DP cable if the graphic card on your computer has that port

Ensure that the graphic card drivers are updated. If the issue persists, we may have to configure or re-install the graphic card settings for getting an optimal display. Please mention the graphic card installed the in the computer. You may find the steps listed below useful, to capture the required details:
- Click the 'Pearl' icon
- Click 'Control Panel'
- Click 'Hardware & Sound'
- Click 'Device Manager'
- Click 'Yes' to 'User Access Control' if that appears
- Locate 'Display Adapters' & expand
- Capture the details of items listed below

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 10th, 2012 13:00

BigZ31,

We only validated the default 6' DVI-D Dual Link cable. The DP (DisplayPort) can use longer cabling due to its "Link Training" ability.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2012 01:00

Thanks for the replies. The default 6' DVI-D cable works perfectly. Unfortunately my card does not have Display Port(Nividia Quadro Fx5500) only DVI. My settings are already the same as you suggest Saurabh.

I am thinking perhaps the longer cables quality is a problem?

No Events found!