Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2015 11:00

AC511 soundbar makes scratching noise

Hi, I just bought this soundbar, connected it to my P2415Q monitor's USB and almost immediately found it often makes unpleasant noise, almost like static, scratching, cracking sounds. It seems to be very random, last for a few seconds and disappears, only to come back a few minutes later. It behaves same when connected to USB port on my PC and doesn't relate to volume set, it seems to always be the same, no matter if volume is 0% or 100%. What could that be?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 08:00

The Owner's Manual specifically state to connect the AC511 USB cable to the computer USB port, not to the monitor USB port. Test it on all the computer USB ports. If still bad, contact Dell Customer Service, provide the Dell order number and get it replaced.

November 24th, 2015 03:00

If you will check the manual again, on pic. 4 you see speaker being connected into monitor's charging port and subsequently using A-B USB cable to connect the monitor's hub to PC. Not even mentioning that using PC USB port for the speaker for anything else but analyzing the issue would be very annoying, considering monitor's multi-input nature. The issue is exactly like here: www.youtube.com/watch

Maybe just less often. So, is the soundbar faulty or not? Could it be that issue is not the soundbar but the monitor itself? It has this weird behavior:en.community.dell.com/.../19661887

But so far no one confirmed or denied having the same issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 24th, 2015 06:00

Using the Dell order number, contact Dell Customer Service and get the sound bar exchanged. If the same issue happens with the replacement, then the sound bars were not at fault.

February 13th, 2018 23:00

I had this problem as well. At first I thought it was physical disk drive head noise but the PC - a Gigabyte BRIX - has only an SSD drive, no mechanical HDD!

The soundbar was connected to the PC, not the monitor - unbelievably, the DELL U2515H monitor doesn't have sufficiently powerful USB ports to power its own recommended soundbar!

The sound was only coming out of the left speaker and was occurring pretty regularly, around every 5-10 seconds. It was definitely coming from the soundbar as it disappeared once I disconnected the USB cable. NOTE: Simply changing the selected playback device (Windows 7 Pro), disabling the device, or setting the playback volume to 0 didn't help. Only disconnecting the unit worked.

I use a Bose Soundlink Mini instead now, but it's a bit annoying as the unit wasn't cheap to buy.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 14th, 2018 05:00

"unbelievably, the DELL U2515H monitor doesn't have sufficiently powerful USB ports to power its own recommended soundbar!"

It should have had the required power if the U2515H USB upstream cable was connecting the U2515H to a computer USB port?

No Events found!