Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 19th, 2006 02:00

Cannot Display This Video Mode

This seems to be a common problem so I hope that someone has a solution.  I have a Dimension E510 (a week out of warrantee, of course) with a Radeon X600 video card and a E193FP flat panel monitor.  When I reboot the computer the screen is black and says "Cannot Display Video Mode." 

I had this problem several months ago and Dell support told me that there must be some way to change the screen resolution on startup but couldn't find a way,  After about an hour of screwing around it finally just started working, not apparently linked to anything we did. 

Here is what I've tried this time, based on memory from before and reading people's comments:

1) Turn off monitor for 15 seconds (and longer, and computer, and combinations thereof) -- nothing
2) F8 and then "Enable VGA"  -- nothing
3) Boot into safe mode and uninstall radeon drivers and then reboot.  The first time I did this the black screen lasted about a minute and then the system started working.  But when I rebooted again it failed to work.  Repeating this step no longer does anything.
4) Download "new" video driver from Dell (same one I had from last time).  Unfortunately the ATI driver installer seems to require a video mode not supported in safe mode so it exits without installing (as far as I can tell).  I seem to remember it telling me this explicitly last time this happened.
5) Use MSCONFIG to do a diagnostic startup (and a selective startup with various items turned on/off).  That also does nothing
6) Poke around in BIOS.  As far as I can tell there is nothing I can really change here.  I suppose I could remove the Radeon card and try the onboard controller but I'd prefer not to take this hardware solution if there is a software solution.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Eric

281 Posts

December 21st, 2006 12:00

simple- change yor monitor refresh rate to 60 hz

1 Message

January 27th, 2012 17:00

The first thing I did was change resolution.

I have tried switching monitors, swapping cables at monitor end, swapping back, swapping cables at video adapter end, swapping back...nothing works.

And this is 2012, six years after the cry in the dark that I am replying to.

Help? Anyone ever figure this out?

BTW I tried it all, as described in the original post in this thread.

No Events found!