Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 24th, 2017 14:00

Connecting U2515 H's HDMI to graphic card's dual link DVI and reaching 2560*1440

Hi,

my question is similar to http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19626476 but differs in some details:

I tried to connect a dual link dvi graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 2600, max. resolution 2560*1600 @ 60 Hz) to Dell U 2515 H's HDMI via

(1) graphic card dual link DVI output -->  DVI-HDMI-adaptor + HDMI-cable  --> HDMI monitor input

or

(2) graphic card dual link DVI output --> DVI-DVI-Dual-Link-cable + HDMI-DVI-adaptor --> HDMI monitor input

Running debian stretch the display setting 2560*1440 is "selectable" as resolution for the monitor. However, after selecting it, the monitor says, that the display setting of the graphic card should be adjusted to be compatible with possible monitor input or the monitor directly goes to energy safe modus.

My question would be, whether this might be a problem with the connection (i.e., the cable - since it is very diffficult to find HDMI-DVI-adaptors which support the monitor's resolution - maybe those DVI-HDMI-cables/adaptors that support the wanted resolution don't exist), or whether there might be any other problem.

I would be very happy for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Gina

P.S. The monitor works well with a Windows 10 notebook connected via the same above mentioned HDMI-cable.

9.4K Posts

October 25th, 2017 06:00

Hi Gina1983,

Thanks for posting.

For the experts here to formulate a better answer to your question, please post the make and model of your computer.  Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 25th, 2017 12:00

I think you are asking alot of the 10 year old Radeon HD 2600 video card. The video card driver still thinks you are using DVI out, then add the converter, cable, monitor, now the monitor is confused. Converters then cabling are always hit and miss. There are plenty of HDMI to DVI cables, but NOT DVI to HDMI cables. My advice, ditch the 10 year old video card. Purchase a low end recent video card that has HDMI/DP/mDP. Then, using direct cables to the two U2515H will be simple. Provide your computer model and specifications and we can assist in finding an inexpensive video card replacement.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

it is a MSI P6N SLI Mainboard

www.msi.com/.../Specification

with Two PCI Express x16 slots (supports PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant).

At the Moment I am using it with

de.msi.com/.../Specification

which is supposed to support the resolution.

The PCI Express 1.0a slot seems to be the bottleneck for selecting a new card. Would it also be possible to use a graphics card with PCI Express > 1.0a, e.g., 2.0?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

newegg has PCIe x16 2.0 video cards that will downclock to 1.0a. I found this one which has DP/HDMI/DVI. You should search locally for a similar video card. This way, if it doesn't work, you can bring it back to the store for refund.

3 Posts

Hi,

well, it's quite a legacy model:

It is a Radeon HD 2600 XT in a MSI card

de.msi.com/.../Specification

on a MSI P6n SLI

www.msi.com/.../Specification

However, following the specifications, this composition should be able to perform even a 2560*1600 resolution.

I am using it on debian stretch 9.2 with firmware-amd-graphic (version 20161130-3).

Hope this helps.

No Events found!