Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2011 22:00

Dell Fails to honor Warranty for brand new U3011 purchased directly from Dell.com

Does anyone have any idea how to get Dell to honor their Warranty on a 30" UltraSharp?  After almost 2-months of reporting the problems, and a Month of waiting for a Dell-promised replacement, I'm still calling, emailing and waiting for Dell to honor their Monitor Warranty on the U3011 model.  I have a PC that doesn't work without constantly cycling power on the brand new U3011 Dell UltraSharp 30" Display.   I had purchased three (3) of them about 5 months ago, and about two (2) months ago I had one Fail (33% Failure Rate).  After going back & forth with Tech Support to isolate the issue & prove that it was the U3011 and not the XPS PC, Monitor power supply, or cable... Dell Support finally agreed to Ship me a new replacement.  However, after 4 weeks they have still *not even Shipped it* so basically it was all talk and no Warranty.  If you are in Procurement at a Company: don't get a U3011 unless you can spend the money on Spares because the Dell Warranty is useless.  If you are a Home User forget it unless you can wait weeks or months for a replacement.  Most vendors would ship you a new product to replace theirs when it breaks, but even for a New U3011 Monitor apparently Dell will wait for a refurbished model to send you.  I've been waiting for a LONG time and they have not sent one, new or refurbished.  But get this: I can go to the Dell.com web site right now and select a U3011 for shipment: says it will ship one day from today.  My XPS PC is effectively useless without a monitor.  I paid the big bucks because I wanted the 30" of real estate and the UltraSharp quality, but the quality is just not there with this Dell U3011 product.  My suggestion: buy an old, reliable 24" if you need an UltraSharp, or get it from a vendor who honors their warranty.

I'm a Seattle-area Software Developer, Entrepreneur & Business Owner. I have had great success with 6 XPS Desktop purchases, a Dell Netbook, and 5 UltraSharp 24" purchases. Great experiences with the higher-end Dell Color Laser Printers, but 3+ month wait for accessories and toner cartridges.  I have had 1 out of 3 of the Dell 30" UntraSharps fail and had no luck getting Dell to replace the new but failed monitor after almost a month of waiting for the replacement to arrive.

I'm Still Waiting for the Replacement for the Failed Dell UltraSharp 30" even though it is under Warranty,  One Month and Still I'm waiting for Dell to do the right thing.... does anyone have any ideas? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 19th, 2011 06:00

BigTex2112,

Did they say why the delay was occuring? I will need the following information via a private message to investigate this -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
PC Service Tag number:
Operating system:
Reason:
Troubleshooting Done:

6 Posts

April 19th, 2011 10:00

Yes, and at first Dell told me I would receive a new replacement.  Then, when it didn't arrive, I was told on two different Dell Support calls I have been told that even though it is a new purchase, that Dell will only send me a refurbished monitor and not a new one.  They have also said on both of those conversations that the model is too new for Dell to have any refurbished versions in stock. As the Customer who purchased a brand new U3011 with Warranty from Dell, I find this ludicrous.  Companies normally send someone a new item if the original fails under warranty, especially this close to the purchase date. But, I 've been sent nothing (new or refurb) and so this XPS system is basically a huge paperweight. 

There were at least two different support tickets opened for this issue while (a) Tech Support went through the play book of making sure this was in fact a problem with the monitor, and (b) they told me I would be receiving a replacement.  I own several XPS systems and U3011's which made it easy to troubleshoot and isolate the problem as a display issue inside the U3011.  Several weeks were spent with me swapping power supply, then video cable, then moving the entire U3011 to another like-configured XPS computer to rule out the video card.  That took a long time, and there were a few days during these steps where the monitor worked correctly.  But every time I had to again contact Dell Support.  Each time the problem returned it became more frequent and made the display less usable. Finally, Dell told me to expect a new U3011 and that when it arrived I'd return the failed one in the box that the new one arrive in.  I've been told one is on its way or being processed for shipment now 3 times.  Each time I call back and ask for a Tracking Number because no replacement arrives.  I could buy a new one now and have it shipped today according to the Dell.com web site, but you really don't feel like spending that kind of capitol on a monitor with poor quality.   

The issue is horizontal lines on the display.  They are random and they get to the point of obscuring everything on the screen, basically making the monitor unusable.  It is extremely frustrating having to cycle power on the display up to several times each minute in order to keep the thing viewable.  It is so bad now I can't work on it. 

I will send you the other information you've asked for - what is your email address?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 19th, 2011 16:00

I have sent emails off. Awaiting responses.

While waiting, let me clear up the confusion about our policy.

If the exchange is setup inside the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will be New.

If the exchange is setup outside of the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will be Refurbished/Used.

6 Posts

April 19th, 2011 22:00

Chris, I have NOT received an email from you concerning my long overdue monitor replacement.  Perhaps you should reach out to me on the phone numbers provided.  I did respond to another open ticket tonight via email which was the printer accessories and toner cartridges that Dell took 3-months to ship to me (that was a separate order).  But I have not seen any emails explaining when I can expect to receive my replacement U3011 and the carrier's tracking number of that item.  Please do provide the UPS Tracking number for the new replacement Dell U3011. 

I question the way in which Dell presents its Monitor policy, and by the way, it is not clearly stated as such when purchasing the Warranty.  So if a Monitor fails 3-weeks after you purchase it from Dell then you have to wait months for a replacement that is the same or as good?  Even for a defective Dell U3011 that costs more than a typical starter XPS System? Why don't you just give me my money back on the defective Dell U3011 and then I can order working one?  I believe any consumer or business would take exception to this Dell policy after spending around $1,500 US for a U3011 that didn't even have sufficient quality to last 6-months of very light use.  No, I believe you should take care of your Customer in this case. 

At this point the Dell Warranty and Dell "Policy" have both Failed to provide a Dell U3011 replacement, either new or used.  I have been waiting over a month for the promise Dell made to replace the U3011, and by the way, I was told I could expect a new one when this was reported.  Dell Support did not mention any such Policy of 3-weeks or less. 

I encourage you to take care of your Customer and end the CYA attitude of "I have sent email" - that really irritates people that spend any significant amount of money at Dell, I can assure you. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 20th, 2011 15:00

I replied to your private message on the Forum. I only make contact via the Forum, never phone. I have not yet received a response from the person who setup the exchange on why it is taking so long.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2011 05:00

I apologize to you personally Chris for my frustrated tone - please understand that you are one of many Dell people I have been working with to find a solution to this piece of failed Dell hardware from for many, many weeks now.  I am a Customer who has spent a lot of my money on Dell purchases over the past half-year (a large 5-digit sum of US Dollars), and Dell should be taking better care of me with my high value purchase history.  With this U3011 Failure I have heard an endless series of excuses and "we're looking into it" kind of responses to the undelivered replacement U3011.  The nature of the hardware Failure itself is very frustrating as well: horizontal lines obscure the screen/display until you cannot get your work down without stopping what you are doing, cycling power on the Display, then rinse/repeat.  That kills the XPS for anything critical that needs to get done work-wise.  I haven't had time to play games lately, but as you can imagine, the Failure would also be fatal in most any game. 

Throughout the many weeks of this ordeal I have really tried to sincerely work with the Dell engineers and support technicians assigned to this case, but for some reason they don't get calls or emails returned from their own Teams.  No shipment tracking number is ever provided - even when I was told repeatedly "it will arrive" on a given day.  I truly like my Dell products when they work, but when a Dell product fails, It appears nobody in the trenches at Dell can make a decision to do the right thing for the Customer.  Maybe on the cheaper products they can, but not on the high value products.  High value products are purchased by high value Customers.

Here is what I expect from Dell: a new Dell U3011 shipped immediately from the warehouse to replace the faulty one that Dell sold me.  That is completely justified, and was the reason for the Dell Warranty purchase when II ordered the 30" UltraSharp (U3011) in the first place. If I sent Dell a bill for the amount of time I've invested trying to fix the Dell support process I'd have already been able to take delivery of 6 or 7 of these U3011's.

Another day has come and gone Chris.  What are my options now as a Dell Customer?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 21st, 2011 06:00

I just got an email response. They said the monitor is on backlog from the manufacturer. They did not provide an ETA. We cannot ship what we do not have. I know it stinks but all we can is wait for the manufacturer to ship us some.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2011 11:00

Chris, that is the same response I got a month ago.  This is no warranty - I should have a replacement U3011 by now . 

Why can I go purchase a new one right now on Dell.com with no wait?

Please just give me my money back so I can buy a new one.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 21st, 2011 15:00

I cannot do any kind of Credit Return. All I am empowered to do is setup part replacements. You would have to use the Unresolved Issues Form to escalate this if you want to try the return/credit route.

I got a response from them today, "It was released on 3/22 to fulfillment to ship.I’ve emailed them to find out why they have not yet shipped it and will let you know.".

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2011 05:00

Check the private message I just sent you.

No Events found!