Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2010 04:00

Dirty Trick on Dell Outlet Monitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So earlier this week a bunch of refurb'd SP2309W monitors show up in the Dell Outlet site going for $199.00. I, along with about 50 other pigeons think, "Wow! Dell sells this monitor, new, on their site for $319.00. It's only available on the Dell site so no one else can sell it cheaper. Plus, CNET gave it a decent review.  What a deal."  So I swoop one up on the second day. Later that day, they're all gone. They even ship it out the next day. EDD is 7 days. The day after they sell out in the Dell Outlet, today, Dell puts the NEW ones on sale for $219.00. So what us rock heads end up getting are refurb'd monitors at only a $20.00 discount. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the Dell Outlet refurb had I known a sale was going to pop up one day later. I'm numb. I would have paid the extra $20.00 for a new monitor. Oh well,  I did get free 5-7 day shipping. Wait a minute, this new sale offers free 3-5 day shipping! So that pretty much negates that $20.00 saving!!! I just paid the same amount of money for a refurb vs a new monitor! But wait, there's more!!! The new monitors come with 3 year warranties, the refurbs, 90 days!!! BOTTOM LINE, I lost value in my Dell Outlet purchase over a new purchase before I even received it, one day after I bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

This after buying a XPS 8000 and having it discontinued a few days after ordering it, then while it's in transit, the 8100 is introduced!

I hope Dell sees fit in compesating me in some way for such a dirty way selling off their monitors in the Dell Outlet.

If not, I would like to give Dell, on behalf of it's cutomers,  in exchange for them playing such a dirty trick on us, every TOS forbidden word in exsistence.

Thanks dELL

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 06:00

I don't see how it is "dirty".

And that is how it is in LIFE. You win some and you lose some.

Stop being a crybaby.

398 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 07:00

First, I have to say that I have purchased three computers off of the outlet.

From what I have noticed, the pricing is inconsistent--seemingly identical systems that range in price from incredibly hot deals to not-so-great deals. The great deals will be snapped up in a matter of moments. The not-so-great deals will stay in the system for a while. With a little patience, luck, and some coupons, I have saved between 33% and 50% off of the regular price on the computers.

And with buy any electronics, there will always be better equipment at a better price sometime in the future. I got burned on the transition from Pentium D to Core 2/Core 2 Duos with my (non-Dell) work computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 07:00

There is no difference between a new monitor and a refurbished one. So you still saved $20. 

33 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 11:00

Stop being a crybaby.

Fine for you. Probably some type of sales flunkie only looking for a way to squeeze as much cash out of the consumer. Do you sell vacuums door to door? 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

[quote user="ieee488"]

Stop being a crybaby.

Fine for you. Probably some type of sales flunkie only looking for a way to squeeze as much cash out of the consumer. Do you sell vacuums door to door? 

[/quote]

What is completely laughable about your attitude is that if the reverse had been true and you had made a "killing" on the deal, you would running around telling everyone how smart you were to be able to take advantage of such great prices.

As I wrote. You win some, and you lose some.

P.S.   The only time I sold anything door to door was when I was elementary school. Back then we didn't know any better not to do that.

33 Posts

First, I have to say that I have purchased three computers off of the outlet.

From what I have noticed, the pricing is inconsistent--seemingly identical systems that range in price from incredibly hot deals to not-so-great deals. The great deals will be snapped up in a matter of moments. The not-so-great deals will stay in the system for a while. With a little patience, luck, and some coupons, I have saved between 33% and 50% off of the regular price on the computers.

And with buy any electronics, there will always be better equipment at a better price sometime in the future. I got burned on the transition from Pentium D to Core 2/Core 2 Duos with my (non-Dell) work computer.

If the difference between the time dell offered the outlet monitor vs the time they put it on sale were, say, a month, even a couple of weeks, then yes, I would not be complaining. I old enough to know that technology and prices are always in flux. I bought my first computer in the late 80's. But we're talking less than one day between the time they sold the outlet monitors and offered a sales price on a new one that essentially makes the outlet monitor, from the same reseller, a bad deal. I'm speaking not just for me but for every consumer. Dell has to take care of their individual consumers as well as their corporate accounts.

33 Posts

There is no difference between a new monitor and a refurbished one. So you still saved $20. 

There's no difference between new and refurbished? Are you serious? Then why would a refurb only have a 90 day warranty vs 3 years for a new monitor? Regardless of every reason why you can argue that a refurb may be better than new, you may want to realize most consumers would prefer new to refurb unless the deal is right. When I purchased it, the deal was that I was getting a discount of about $120.00. Now the deal for the refurb is only $20.00, LESS warranty time by almost 3 years and quicker shipping takes that deal into a negative. I'm sure for any consumers, that deal would not be right to take. 

468 Posts

Its how retail works.. plus the dell outlet store prices down their products based on the MSRP, and not from any sales price or adjusted MSRP.. its classic one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.. plus you could have purchased an extended warrenty if you are worried about the monitor flubbing soon.

33 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 12:00

Its how retail works.. plus the dell outlet store prices down their products based on the MSRP, and not from any sales price or adjusted MSRP.. its classic one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.. plus you could have purchased an extended warrenty if you are worried about the monitor flubbing soon.

I would have bought a new one if I wanted to put out the cash for an extended warranty. When I bought the monitor, I was looking at a $120.00 difference. My complaint is that the sales in the outlet was less than one day to the sales price offer towards the new monitor, within the same seller. Normally, most retailers have price protection for their consumers.

2.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 14:00

I have shopped in the outlet before, and, as others have said, the prices are not stable. It seems like shopping there is a certain risk as far as prices go.... Something else others have said... You win some, you lose some.

I believe Dell's 21 day return policy applies to outlet items. If it bothers you that much, you could return it, though there is a chance of a restock fee....

33 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 22:00

Well, it seems like everyone seems to accept what the big dogs do to them. Looking at the situation from the seller's point of view, having the right to do whatever with pricing and as a consumers, taking it. I thought I might get a little support for consumer rights but apparently.

398 Posts

January 24th, 2010 09:00

Well, the outlet has 44 S2309W monitors at $149.

There will always be a better deal another day.

2.2K Posts

January 25th, 2010 10:00

"I thought I might get a little support for consumer rights.... "

What consumer right did you want?

What if the tables had been reversed, and the price shot up a few hundred dollars... How would you feel about Dell contacting you and asking you to make up the difference?

No Events found!