Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2016 18:00

E2316H, Dell Displays Manager, Command Line Issue

Hello,

I have my Dell E2316H monitor connected to my MacBook Air via VGA, and my gaming PC via DisplayPort. I've recently become tired of having to go into the monitor's menu to switch between display inputs, so I decided to try out the command line options for Dell Display Manager. While I was able to get '/SetActiveInput VGA1' to work, I had no success with '/SetActiveInput DP1'.

When my monitor is set to VGA, clicking the DP1 shortcut does nothing to my Dell display. When my Dell monitor is set to DisplayPort, clicking the DP1 shortcut turns my Dell display black, before returning to it's DisplayPort state. I have no clue what to do at this point, as everything looks right on my end.

If someone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Romanel Fleming

234 Posts

October 25th, 2016 10:00

The only way you could switch your Macbook from VGA to DP1 is by executing a DDM comandline from Bootcamp on the Macbook since DDM is a Windows-only program. When the *active* input is VGA on the E2316H there is no communication channel between DDM running on your gaming PC over DP1. In other words, you can't switch to DP1 over DP1; you can only switch to DP1 over VGA and to VGA over DP1.

If I misunderstood your situation, do the following:

1. Close DDM and switch to VGA

2. Start DDM

3. Execute your DP1 shortcut

4. While holding the SHIFT key down, right-click on the DDM system tray icon and select "Save diagnostic report..."

5. Post the content of the report you saved in step 4

No Events found!