Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 14:00

Gorilla Glass

I scratched my monitor, so I can t understand why not to make gorilla glass monitors.

August 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi DellBoy333,

Well that is certainly a good thought. We do have some devices, mostly portable ones that have Gorilla Glass technology embedded on them like Dell mobile phones , certain laptops and tablets. Basically, the idea of Gorilla Glass is only limited to portables because these are such devices that people carry around with them everyday and they are more vulnerable to scratches due to travelling and mishandling, if any.

Monitors on the other hand are devices which are not portable and are subjected to be kept on a particular place and are often moved from one place to the other. So Gorilla Glass technology to be used on monitors is still on a development stage as it is not required. Secondly, if we put Gorilla Glass on the monitors then their cost will be higher than that of a conventional monitor. So your idea is definitely good and we will pass this as a feedback to our product team. But as of now, the Gorilla Glass is only limited to portables.

May be sooner or later we would also see them on the monitors!

548 Posts

August 6th, 2013 01:00

Really, all monitor manufacturers need to make their monitors much more durable than they currently are with 'cleanability' in mind, especially when OSes like Windows 8 provide for a touch interface which result in greasy finger marks all over the screen... Such touch interfaces on a large monitor are sub optimal IMHO but if an OEM provides such OSes, then the customer would want a solid screen that will not scratch and can be very easily cleaned...

Secondly, if we put Gorilla Glass on the monitors then their cost will be higher than that of a conventional monitor. So your idea is definitely good and we will pass this as a feedback to our product team.

And as for the above comment, not sure if the poster mean it's a good idea because it will cost more (and presumably Dell can make more money out of this) but the comment made me smile for all the wrong reasons :emotion-5:.

Oh, and one does not need gorrila glass to be scratch resistant, just look at the coatings used on bluray disks for example... Possibly a coated perspex bonded to an LCD substrate would be much much more robust than toughened glass...

No Events found!