Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2013 11:00

U2410, grey colors look too dark/black

I've been using my dell u2410 for a few weeks and everything seems fantastic except for one thing that I noticed while watching youtube videos. Dark colors(especially grey colors) look too dark and sometimes I can't make distinction between two close dark colors. How can I make it lighter?

and one more thing. Do colors depend on a graphics card? If I change my old graphics card will the colors be different?

thanks in advance

August 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi ivlevkir,

Color reproduction depends on basically 3 factors. They are:

1. Monitor
  2. Graphic Card
  3. Viewing Angle

Now, how can they affect color reproduction is quite interesting. Some monitors produce a darker color shade and some lighter. This is something we cannot change inside the monitor as they are designed to produce those colors in that way. Same is the case with graphic cards. But in graphic cards there is an option to change the color reproduced on the screen, I will tell you how. Lastly, the viewing angle also makes a difference. For example, if you are sitting in front of the computer try tilting and moving the screen and you would see darker color shades turning lighter and vice-versa.

The only thing we can have control over the colors is through the graphic card. So the answer to your question is yes, you can make the colors lighter or darker as per your liking and you do not need to change your graphic card as of now. To change the color on the screen, Right-Click on any empty space on the desktop and select Graphic Properties as shown in the picture below.

Then the Intel Graphic Control Panel will open up. Once its open, navigate to Media on the left pane and then select Color Enhancement option like shown in the picture below:

Now, either you can select preset profiles from the list or you can play with the adjustment sliders above for brightness, hue, contrast and saturation. Once the colors on the screen is as per your liking then you can click on apply and ok.

Here is the link to the Documentation for your monitor. Open the User's Guide to page number 19 to 22, on how to adjust brightness and contrast of the monitor itself.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

January 27th, 2021 13:00

Hello Jyotpal F,

You are simply a legend, I've been suffering for years with this issue and you finally helped me solve it.

I've just signed up to Dell just now to give you some kudos and say thank you

My contrast has always been too high even though I've reduced it to its lowest setting on my monitor hardware. It affects me deeply especially when editing on Photoshop, not being able to see the dark greys was an absolute nightmare, it's like editing blindfolded.

I used to have to send the image I'm editing to my phone, (because my phone screen's contrast was well balanced) in order to see the dark greys, as you can imagine this was extremely tedious and draining, but I found a way to struggle through. However one particular image I was working on was 50% dark grey and was very detailed and needed intricate editing attention, so the whole 'transferring to my phone to see maneuver' was literally taking a lifetime. So I went on a hunt for a solution out of sheer frustration and desperation.

I was looking for a solution online for so long and I was almost going to give up.

Then I came across your clear detailed thorough post. And it worked! I literally shed a tear of joy.

It was really simple, but it goes to show a little help can go a long way. So please keep helping people however insignificant it may seem.

Your advice all the way back from seven years ago, did wonders for me today.

Many thanks again @Dell-Jyotpal F 

(Kudos as well to @ivlevkirfor initiating this, couldn't have got this info without you)

No Events found!