Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2002 15:00

M782 Monitor Problems

We just received our new computer.  Monitor at times just goes dark for 1 to2 seconds and them comes back on.  Seems like a loose connection but all appear tight.  Any recommandations?

1 Message

November 29th, 2002 22:00

Identical problem here.......even after updating the BIOS and the video card driver, it still does it.  Seems to be more of annoyance than anything, but something still isn't right.... hopefully Dell will have a soution soon!

2 Posts

December 1st, 2002 15:00

I had this problem after installing new video card drivers. Eventually, after trying many things, I disconnected the monitor from the PC (after switching both off) on reconnecting and switching on, windows XP reinstalled the monitor using the default monitor driver. The problem stopped. After installing the new video drivers I had used the Dell inf file. This seemed to be causing the problem. I hope this helps.

Regards

John

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 9th, 2002 15:00

There are other folks who are having similar problems. Please see http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=17933 for one of the threads.

To me it seems that the Dell M782p monitors have defective firmware. I have spent over 25 hours trying to figure out the problem. Dell support was useless. They sent me three different monitors (all M782p made in either Mexico or China in September/October 2002). I tried the monitors on different PCs with Windows XP and Windows 98 and different video card combinations. The monitors had problems getting identified on faster machines with 512 MB of RAM. They worked fine on a Pentium 133/Windows 98/96MB RAM/S3 2MB video machine.

To get around the issue of not being identified, you may want to turn on the monitor about 15 seconds before turning on the PC. Windows should identify the monitor as Dell M782p or a Plug and Play monitor. If you get default monitor, Windows is not recognizing the monitor.

1 Message

December 11th, 2002 20:00

i had the same problem as all of you describe, dell sent me a replacement 782 everything was fine for about a month and then the same going dark for a second problem occured again. the 782 has got to be a defective design

7 Posts

August 27th, 2003 22:00

Same deal here.  First one (Mexico) I got lasted about 6 months before it started flickering on and off.  Dell sent me a replacement (China) at that time.  The one i have now is starting to flicker on and off again.  It's gotta be the hardware.

1 Message

September 4th, 2003 02:00

Whew I thought it was just me.  When we received our system 11 months ago, the display shut off for 1 to 2 seconds as described above. Contacted Dell support,  useless answer, obviously sticking to script.  Solved the problem by reseting the video card. No probs in last 11 months, although my son had it happen last night. Will try reseating card again.

Dim 4500

39 Posts

September 5th, 2003 00:00

My monitor blanks out infrequently.One day last week

it was blanking out.It has been good since.I bought

it  11/02.I'd have to say it is a dud,and Dell dropped

the Ball here. I also had to have hard   

drive replaced at six months.

5 Posts

September 5th, 2003 07:00

Lucky I checked this community forum.  My Dell PC is just 9 months old and it just started to flicker and black out for a few seconds.  It only happens once in a while though.  It stopped for 2 weeks then does it again.  I hate it ... it  flickers when I'm playing online games.  Thought it was just my PC.  I was planning to contact Dell Support, but after reading these posts I'm not so confident that they will be able to solve my problem.  It's interesting that you reseted the video card.  I'm going to try that.  I just installed new RAM too, and you have to remove the AGP video card before the RAM can be installed ... maybe it is the video card.  It's hard to reset the card into slot though with that "clip" on the bottom.  Anyways ... going to try resetting the video card.  I'll will post my results.  Thanks for the tip!

26 Posts

September 5th, 2003 16:00

we have two m782 monitors at work and i have one at home ,the work monitors are 1 and two yrs old my home monitor is 11 months .so far i haven't had any problems

7 Posts

September 5th, 2003 19:00

Lots of other people are having this problem too. I've started a new thread at:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=26613

39 Posts

December 13th, 2003 23:00

Update: Monitor still acts up infrequently. Acted -up a few days ago, today it's ok.  Maybe a Reboot helps.

No Events found!