Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 00:00

Monitor not working after factory reset adjust

Whilst attempting to calibrate my Dell 15" flat screen monitor with Spyder3 I was prompted to first restore the monitor to its colour/contrast.brightness default factory settings.  Doing this with the monitor buttons and the on-screen factory reset setting caused the screen to immediately go blank.  Switching the monitor on and off will cause the display to reappear but only for 1-2 seconds before going blank again. Very, very dimly I can just see that the pc is working ok and bring up the settings menu , this is  also aappearing for just a second or so and remains just about visible with great effort I have managed (briefly) to adjust the setting to a 10 second display but I cannot restore the monitor to its usual working display.  The pc is working fine, I have checked the cables and am currently borrowing my father's Dell monitor which is working fine with the the said pc and cables.  I should point out also that I got no further with the calibration other than the switching to factory reset which seems to have caused all the problems.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2010 01:00

Best of luck with this, I would have thought there must be a solution to this but I never found it :(  As this monitor was about 5-6 years old  and only about 15" I decided it was easiest, and probably a good time to upgrade it but I hope you can find a cheaper solution than that.  It seems crazy that something as seemingly  harmless as restore factory defaults could cause this.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2010 01:00

OMG, I'm having the same problem. Were you able to find a solution? Can anyone reading provide me with a solution short of buying a new flat screen?

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

September 5th, 2010 13:00

I had the same problem and I found the solution at the following link:
http://www.plex86.org/dell/Dell-LCD-Touch-Screen-E153FPTc-will-not-stay-on--blank--black-screen.html

Here is a synopsis:
It seems that lowering the 'Brightness' and 'Contrast' fixes things. The problem is, you can't see the menu without the backlight. However, try this, as it worked for me:

Have monitor turned on and plugged into computer. Boot up the computer so that a signal is being sent to the monitor. My monitor would flicker to life everytime there was a resolution or refresh rate change. But then the backlight goes out and the screen goes black after only a couple seconds. The 'green' power light was still on, just the screen was black. You can only get to the menus when a signal is being sent from the computer to the monitor, so it needs to be on. For my monitor the brightness needs to be at 60 or below for the backlight to stay on. The default factory settings are too high for my montior as they are above those numbers. Once your computer is all booted up, you can change the monitor settings.

Notice you have four buttons on the bottom of the unit: ( - ) Menu ( - ) minus ( + ) plus ( 0 ) power

Hit these buttons in order to lower the 'Brightness' and 'Contrast':
Press ( - ) minus -- enters 'Brightness' and 'Contrast' menu
Press ( - ) minus -- moves hightlighted option down to 'Brightness'
Press ( - ) Menu -- selects 'brightness' as option to change
Press ( - ) minus several times -- each press moves the brightness down 1-100.
Press ( - ) Menu -- sets the new level.

Press ( - ) minus -- moves hightlighted option down to 'contrast'
Press ( - ) Menu -- selects 'contrast' as option to change
Press ( - ) minus several times -- each press moves the contrast down 1-100.
Press ( - ) Menu -- sets the new level.
Press ( - ) minus -- moves hightlighted option down to 'Exit'
Press ( - ) Menu -- selects to exit the menu.
Press ( 0 ) power -- turn off monitor
Press ( 0 ) power -- turn on monitor

When I adjusted the number above 60, the problem returned.

No Events found!