Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

May 17th, 2007 05:00

My 3007 WFP-HC display has a "dead zone"

Hi all, I've discovered a bug in the lcdosd.exe application that causes my monitor to have a dead zone (i.e., a rectangular section of the screen that doesn't accept any of my mouse events, etc.). I can only reproduce the problem after the display has gone into sleep mode and been reawakened. Killing the lcdosd.exe process eliminates the problem--it seems like there's a hidden window that's always on top that is everything but visible that's swallowing all mouse events over that area. I've described the problem in detail and included a video that demonstrates the behavior here.

Has anyone else run into this? Can someone from Dell confirm this is a bug please?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any questions.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2007 15:00

Hi Chris. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using Vista Ultimate and I've got an NVidia GeForce 7600 GT video card. Yes, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the monitor drivers, etc. I've also tried the update I found but I already had the latest so that had no effect. Let me know if there's any other data you need.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 17th, 2007 15:00

gusper,

I will run this by Product Group.

What operating system and what video card are you using?

Have you reloaded the 3007 WFP-HC OSD application to see if the issue contines?

Do any other owners of the 3007 WFP-HC experience this issue?

1 Message

May 22nd, 2007 01:00

I have the exact same problem.  On both Vista x86 and x64 on 2 computers, with both 3007WFP and 3007WFP-HC.  One computer has Nvidia 7900GTX, and other has 8800GTX.  Using current version of monitor driver/SW.

-Mike

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2007 03:00

In the meantime (and quite possibly permanently) I've gone ahead and renamed the lcdosd.exe file to lcdosd2.exe. The file can be found in your windows\system32\3007wfp directory. This prevents it from getting run again which means you won't see the OSD again (unless you rename it back when you need it) but that's not a big loss for me as I don't really _need_ it once I've configured the monitor appropriately. I've seen no negative side effects from making this change so far (i.e., powersave works fine, buttons on the monitor still work to inc/dec brightness, etc.) and I've had it this way since I first posted...

Message Edited by gusper on 05-21-2007 11:48 PM

1 Message

May 19th, 2008 03:00

Hello, I have this same exact problem! It was driving me insane until I read the solution about renaming the lcdosd.exe file.

I thought I was going to have to return my brand new 30" display due to a defect. Luckily, (so to speak) the osd software has a bug in it and not the monitor.

I have a Dell XPS 420 system with the Nvidia GEForce 8800 GT video card. I also have Visual Studio 6 and 2005 installed. (didn't notice this problem until I installed and started using these apps)

...Might not be a big priority but a fix for this would be nice someday.  :smileywink:

1 Message

November 17th, 2010 16:00

I just experienced the same thing on my 3007.

I found a Workaround was to hit the "+" and then the "-" to bump and decrement the brightness.  this bringups up the brightness menu, which then times out, taking it's window with it.

btw, in my case, the issue was caused (somehow) by remoting in to the system from a laptop (with a much smaller screen).  whenever I'd re-login to the system with the 3007 attached, I'd have that little menu sized, dead area, window.

it would be really nice if someone at dell could actually publish a fix to this bug, given that this was reported over three years ago...

1 Message

December 8th, 2010 04:00

Hi, i am on the same boat, i had the exact same problems with Vista x64, and i still have them with Windows 7 x64 i am trying now.

Inaccessible area in place of the OSD and all. The only difference is that, in Vista x64 the control panel worked as should, but in Windows 7 x64 it crashes the explorer every time. I am using the R152473 as well.

After extensive troubleshooting with the Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support, the conclusion from their side, was that the fault lies in the Dell application...

Any help here?

No Events found!