Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

New U2415 worked, then this

Brand new U2415 plugged into 2010 Mac Mini using supplied MDP>DP cable worked great at first.

I then plugged it into my Retina laptop using an HDMI cable; again, worked great.

Worked great means everything including OSD. Along the way I changed the shortcut buttons.

BUT, with the display back at the Mini, only the self test and diagnostic screens appear. All buttons bring up ONLY the cable-connection options list. I cannot get to the OSD. It is NOT locked (and I have both locked and unlocked this as part of my troubleshooting). The display is not recognizing any data cable (I've tried two different MDP>DP cables).

Is there a fix I can do or must this be returned/replaced?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

Did you turn the U2415 off BEFORE disconnecting the Mac Mini and its mDP to DP cable from the monitor?

Or are both Mac Mini + mDP to DP cable and Laptop + HDMI cable connected to the U2415 at the same time? And you disconnected cables while the U2415 was on?

Whatever you did, it sounds like you "hard locked" the U2415. Try this =

* Turn the U2415 off
* Disconnect all cables from the U2415 including the power cable
* Press the U2415 power button in for 30 seconds
* Reconnect only the U2415 power cord
* Turn the U2415 on. What do you see?

December 2nd, 2015 15:00

Hi Chris; thank you. I solved my stupidity-caused problem. As a Mac user I'm unused to displays with lots of ports, most especially outputs. Turns out that I had the DP cable in the out port not the in port — because it's very hard to see, exacerbated because I mounted the display on an old elbow-joint design HP stand that lets my wife lower it right to the desktop with no gap.

But just so I know, and because I did not see reference to it in the guide — what does pressing the power button on the isolated display do? Is it a global reset?

And, ought the OSP appear when button 3 is pressed even if the monitor is not cabled, or mis-cabled, to a computer?

December 2nd, 2015 15:00

BTW, the display was connected to each computer individually, sequentially. I couldn't say if I disconnected the data cable/s withOUT turning power off. You'd think I'd turn the display's power off first but I can't swear to it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2015 06:00

Correct. It is a hard reset of the monitor. It is not in the Manual. If the Input Source is locked up, the OSD will not function.

No Events found!