Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2015 06:00

P2314T, Windows 10, will not turn on after overnight PSM?

P2314T monitor, Windows 10, HDMI1 input.

When returning to the computer after overnight, the monitor will not turn back on.  The computer/Windows is fine.  The power light on the monitor is turned on (white) but the screen will not display anything including built-in menu or diagnostics.  It remains completely black.  Only unplugging and replugging in the monitor will get it to work again.  This monitor worked fine for many months but started this behavior more recently, on Windows 8.1 and after Windows 10 upgrade.  Drivers are up-to-date. After a brief power-save (e.g. let computer idle for 10 minutes, then montior goes into power-save mode, then wake) it will resume properly.  But not after a longer time (e.g. over night).  So I have this problem every single morning.  Not sure how to get DELL support since there is no Service Tag since this is a monitor problem not a computer problem. P2314T passes all BID and has been factory reset.  Still broken.

Thank you for your help.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2015 09:00

I have this problem as well - but my computer is configured NOT to enter power save mode at all!  It's a media server.  So - the computer's power save is NOT the issue.

4 Posts

October 14th, 2015 15:00

I wish I could try this, but my video card does not have DisplayPort output, only mini HDMI.

6 Posts

October 14th, 2015 15:00

I'm happy to report that I've solved this issue, at least for my configuration.  After swapping monitors and computer and the HDMI cable,still having the problem, I suspected the HDMI interface might be an issue (I also have seen this on TiVo to TV screen connections).  So I switched to the DisplayPort output on the graphics card (and DisplayPort on the monitor) and have not had any issues for several days now.  As it used to be an issue every night, I feel this is a decent workaround.

October 14th, 2015 22:00

Have you tried it with Display Port?

October 18th, 2015 08:00

It is clearly not a physical monitor problem, nor a graphics card issue.  I have an intel graphics card and others on this post nvidia.  All drivers are latest.  

12 Posts

November 10th, 2015 09:00

I have the same problem for months.  Sometimes it will go a week without responding in the morning and sometimes it's each morning.  I have not exchanged.  Never happens during the day always overnight.  Started in Windows 8.1 and still happens in Windows 10.  I have learned to just unplug monitor and plug back in.  Pain.  Maybe somebody has solution?

12 Posts

November 10th, 2015 09:00

I have the same problem.  Started in Windows 8.1 and still happens in Windows 10.  Some sometimes it won't happen for many days and some times it happens each morning.  Never happens during the day but when it does happen it always is in the morning.  I'm connecting with HDMI.  Been going on from awhile for me.  I have learned to just unplug and plug back in.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

November 10th, 2015 20:00

Hi to all annoyed users of a Dell P2314T nice and expensive touch monitor.

"power saving often lead to issues on bad computers, your should turn off your computers at night". 
Sleep mode was not designed to fail, was designed save energy so "we can to buy more electronics.

GOT SAME PROBLEM, overnight 1st monitor wake up black, but power cord holds the magic !  
 I AM GUILTY: 
I don't care about global warming and prefer to have my work as I left it last night. I am to dumb to remember which 35 apps I had open on 3 monitors, and remember where I was. I love to watch a movie on my PC till I catch my sleep, that is why I paid 3500 USD instead of 1500.  

So black screen, monitors 2 and 3 show light but no apps "since windows is not started yet".
Pressing NumLock and my PIN blindly windows starts and show apps on monitors 2 and 3, but 1 still black, yes, power light is turned on (white). Unplug the power cord bring it to work showing DELL bios logo and boila! And I make me a coffee first to pass the annoying every morning issue and get ready for the next monitor issues while I work.

Precision WS 5810T (3rd brand new in a year).
Two P2314T monitors + 1 Digital DVI monitor, Windows 10 x64.
Two NVIDIA NVS 310 cards with display ports.
Video card NVIDIA NVS 310 firmware and drivers are up-to-date
Most recent drivers for the P2314T (dated 2014)
BIOS updated. Win 10 x64 totally updated
All kind of tests, changing main monitor, change cables, power supply, unplug monitors 2 and 3, change HDMI port. Disabled the sleep modes on BIOS (S4, S5). MSA diagnostics does not show problem. (let me know if I am missing something). A rough year dealing with Dell with a horrific Precision WS 5810 besides the monitor issues. Changed Raid controller and motherboard, after two weeks started again but got even worse, USB stopped functioning, fan 1, then fan 2, then fan 3. After 8 months of agony they ended changing the whole computer for (same model, regardless it was clear this model has a lot of design issues and you discontinued it in 2015!). Replacement included a new P2314T monitor, and guess what?  Started with same old problem on monitor, guess sooner or later the fans and USB will fail again.

Also:

1) P2314T's screens gets crazy and start tapping themselves (place depends where your mouse pointer was when problem suddenly started), causing to close programs, change the data, and more. 

2) Using the monitor's sound port for speakers suddenly your nice music or video starts interrupting (like echoes), so you hear just: WHA, WHA WHA, BLIP, BLIP and you loose what Korea said on CNN.

Is clear that:

1) Happens to main monitor only
2) Is not only the P2314T as other forums report same failure on different brands on touch monitors

So please Dell, phone Microsoft, get the guy who made the monitor firmware and drivers, ask to your tech. department to meet them and work together a real solution and solve this mess. Many of us gave you a year already!

12 Posts

November 11th, 2015 08:00

I've had more problems this past week - Not sure if it was the Dell Display Manager or that I upgraded to Windows 10 - Display Manager was updated on my machine about a week ago, but also I just did Windows 10 Upgrade.  I'm now trying to see if I have issues since I UNINSTALLED the Display Manager.  Can't hurt to try.  Will also look into display port option if the display manager doesn't fix the issue.  I was with tech support yesterday and they tried changing allow hybrid sleep to off - didn't work.

Frustrated...

12 Posts

November 11th, 2015 09:00

I'm going to order DisplayPort cable and see if this fixes the problem.

November 12th, 2015 06:00

A brand new computer about 3500 USD must perform well under any power saving choice. Yes, power save modes often lead to issues in bad products.

12 Posts

November 15th, 2015 17:00

Removing the Dell Display Monitor didn't work.  So next

I installed DisplayPort cable on Saturday.  Now I'm waiting to see if the issue continues or not.  Crossing my figures this fixes the matter...  More to come.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2015 17:00

Throwing my hat into the ring as well.

Dell XPS8700 w/ nVidia GeForce GTX 645 attached to the the P2314T via HDMI (port 1 or 2 doesn't matter).

While on Windows 8, then Windows 8.1, absolutely no problems.

Then after upgrading to Windows 10, I have the same symptoms as everyone else.

-PC is still fully functional if I RDP, or even TeamViewer in.

-doesn't seem to matter if it is sitting after a clean reboot or if there are multiple things running

-monitor button - light is on, cannot turn off.  unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in is the only resolution.

-new driver package installed, no difference; not surprising, since they are the same version.

-One shouldn't have to revert back to 8.1 to allow the monitor to function, without having to unplug the monitor and plug it back in.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2015 18:00

I changed from HDMI connection to DisplayPort and for 2 weeks I have NOT had an issue.  Hoping this is the fix.  I had the issue in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with HDMI connection.  May want to try DisplayPort connection if you have DisplayPort output on your video card.

1 Message

December 5th, 2015 15:00

I have two monitors Windows 10- This one just stopped displaying recently. I have a dell M4800 dock and have tried display port and HMI and also tried with another computer. I see the menu and the USB registers for the touch but no display. Display says no signal for HMi and Display Port with the correct choice on the monitor  menu.

No Events found!