Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2020 12:00

P2415Q, Lenovo X1 Carbon, connection options?

I have a P2415Q monitor with only the Displayport available for laptop connectivity. I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon with the following connectivity options. (1) HDMI or (2) Thunderboldt 3 USB-C.  I am trying to find out what my options are ie. adapter/cable to connect my monitor displayport to either of the laptop options.

Thanks for any suggestions as I am stuck!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2020 13:00

@tnchatmonk  All you need is a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, like this one if you're in the US.  With an X1 Carbon you could alternatively get a full Thunderbolt 3 docking station (like the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2) and connect your display(s) and any other peripherals through that, in which case you'd have video, USB data for all your other connectivity, and power to charge your system all running through a single cable.  But if that convenience isn't worth the cost of a full dock for you, then a simple cable like the one I linked is all you need.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2020 15:00

@tnchatmonk  With a rare exception that I'll address, DisplayPort to HDMI cables/adapters can only be used to connect a DisplayPort source to an HDMI display.  Going HDMI source to DisplayPort input does NOT work, and that has nothing to do with Dell systems or displays specifically.  Lenovo should never have suggested that solution.  The reason it doesn't work is that most (but not all) DisplayPort sources support an optional feature called "Dual Mode DisplayPort", which allows that source port to fall back to native HDMI signaling. In most cases, this capability is what is used to allow DisplayPort to HDMI adapters/cables to work.  (The remaining cases are "active" DP to HDMI adapters/cables that incorporate a converter chip so that the source system continues sending a native DisplayPort signal, and the adapter switches it to HDMI.  These adapters are needed when the source port does NOT support Dual Mode DisplayPort or in certain scenarios where it's not allowed to be used, such as AMD EyeFinity setups.)

But looking the opposite direction, HDMI source ports cannot send a native DisplayPort signal, nor do displays accept a native HDMI signal on their DisplayPort input.  So these adapters/cables cannot be used to achieve that setup.  There are a very small handful of active adapters specifically designed to go in this direction of HDMI source to DP display.  But they are more expensive and complicated than the USB-C to DP cable solution I suggested.  Also, running a 4K 60 Hz display in such a setup would require that your system specifically support HDMI 2.0.  Depending on the generation of X1 Carbon you have, it might be limited to HDMI 1.4, which would only allow 4K 30 Hz (or 1440p 60 Hz).

October 12th, 2020 13:00

Appreciate the info...read so many conflicting options, Lenovo even said I could just go HDMI to displayport but everything on the Dell side says no to that.  Think I will try your USB-C to DisplayPort option for now...thanks

October 12th, 2020 15:00

Thanks so much for the detailed documentation as to how the connection options work.  I now understand how the different connectivity options work, something I couldn't find anywhere else.  Like you said, I would have thought Lenovo technical support would have known or had access to documentation to support the answer they gave me.  Anyway, I have a Carbon 8th Gen with two thunderbolt 3 ports with one which can be used for fast charging. I have ordered the cable you suggested from Entirely Cables so I will be sure and post once I receive the cable & have her hooked up...Thanks again and especially the write-up!

October 17th, 2020 18:00

Received my USB-C to Displayport cable today and works like a champ. Only thing I had to check around for is how to get the sound on my X1 as when I plugged in the cable my sound would go mute. Just went to the Windows-->Settings-->Sound-->Output-->Choose your output device.  I appreciate your help so much as I can now move onto another adventure.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 17th, 2020 22:00

@tnchatmonk  Happy to help, although typically the post you would mark as the solution would be the one written by the person who gave you the needed information, not the post where you thanked them for it.

No Events found!