Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

April 24th, 2019 23:00

P2715Q, SpyderX Pro, Calibration issue

Hi, I recently bought a SpyderX Pro to calibrate my P2715Q used exclusively for photo editing. There's a "Display Technology" Setting during pre-calibration that makes you pick a backlight option between, "Wide LED", "Standard LED", "General" (CCFL) or "GB LED".  My initial research seems to suggest this monitor would fall under the Standard LED category, with a description of:

"Standard LED -- Select this if your monitor has a standard gamut (color space) LED backlight. This is the most common modern backlight technology. Common monitors that fall under this category include Apple displays from 2009 to mid-2015, Dell U2412M, most notebooks and ultra-thin display."

After selecting this option and calibrating for 2.2 gamut, 6500k White Point, and 180 Brightness, I can't help but think my monitor looks a bit green after calibration. Is this the correct LED setting? Is Spyder still junk even after the X series (I've seen some people say Spyder is not good)? If I factory reset, do I get my original Factory Color Calibration that supposed to be very accurate? Do I need to buy a different calibrator if I want accurate colors still (my understanding is your calibration degrades over time and it's been several months since I bought the monitor)?

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

June 23rd, 2019 00:00

What I coincidence, I also have a P2715Q and SpyderX Pro, and "standard LED" also made my monitor green. Using "wide LED" makes it look normal and good. Honestly this has nothing to do with Dell and everything to do with the SpyderXPro software. I don't understand why the backlight matters if we're just checking colors. Perhaps it's the secret to the super fast calibration speed of the SpyderX.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

June 27th, 2019 00:00

Sorry I cannot edit my message, when I wrote " build it" I meant "built-in"

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

June 27th, 2019 00:00

First of all SpyderX is a "desktop paperweight" like any other of their Datacolor siblings. Why did all of you buy them?
All its backlight corrections are not user upgradeable in a gerenic way, it is not as accurate as Xrite i1d3 counterpart and it's worse than xrite i1d3 in low light.
So return SpyderX for refund and get an actual measurement device like an xrite i1DisplayPro or colormunki Display. If you are going to buy a monitor with HW calibration, you must get i1displayPro, otherwise munkidisplay is fine but slower.

Second, build it corrections for SpyderX:
-"Standard LED" is WLED for sRGB like display like yours.
-"Wide LED" is W-LED and PFS phosphor or variants like that for P3 multimedia displays (AFAIK Dell does not have these), or soem graphci arts monitors like newe CGs form Eizo... so that correction is not for you.

Is SpyderX so bad and poorly made that choosing a WRONG correction for your display you get a white near daylight curve? Maybe but ypu can't be sure unless you compare results (numeric ones) with a reference device.

No Events found!