Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2016 05:00

P2715Q with Surface Book: vertical and horizontal stripes, flashing :(

I have a Microsoft Surface Book hooked up to a Dell P2715Q monitor.  They don't seem to play well together.  I'm running at 3840x2160, 30hz.  It's been quite a terrible experience, and I don't know whether it's the monitor or the Surface Book's fault.  

Sometimes the monitor won't display at all, and it tells me I need to use 3840x2160 at 30hx (duh!), so I play around with disconnecting/reconnecting, trying different resolutions/refresh rates until it displays again.

When I do get it displaying, and regardless of resolution, it displays yellow horizontal bands that align with white and non-white portions of the display, constantly.  Even worse, there are 5 wide, evenly spaced vertical bands that flash white-ish.  Very distracting.  It didn't use to do this.  

I only got this monitor 3 months ago, so pretty disappointing.

Any ideas, or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Vince

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 06:00

* Does the P2715Q pass its Self-Test and BID (Built-in Diagnostics)? Pages 43-45
* When connected to a standard Windows based desktop computer via the video card DP or mDP out, does the P2715Q work at 4k2k 3840x2160 60Hz?

Have you posted on the Surface Book Forum to ask for advice or insight from other Surface Book users?

In theory, this should work =
Microsoft Surface Book (Mini DisplayPort) mDP out --> Dell P2715Q mDP to DP cable --> P2715Q DP in

The P2715Q MST mode should be set to Off.

* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Display -MST
Off = 4k2k 3840x2160 60Hz (MST Disabled)
Primary = 4k2k 3840x2160 30Hz (MST DP out Enabled)
Secondary = 4k2k 3840x2160 30Hz (MST DP out Disabled). Set monitor to Secondary mode if your Graphics card is DP1.1

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 07:00

Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I tried to run the diagnostics but can't get it to work.  I unplug my HDMI cable as per the instructions, then hold down buttons 1 and 4 but nothing happens.

I haven't tried any other laptops recently, but I'll do that.  I have never been able to get the mDP cable to work (not on my Surface Book, not using a Mac, not on a Surface Pro -- never), so that's why I'm using HDMI.  I also read that HDMI is the preferred input, so I'm using an active HDMI to DP adapter.  That has worked just fine until last week.

I have done the MST thing previously, but you can't access it via the menu (the MST option is disabled).  I recall some button combinations I had to use to get there.  Regardless, I did that ages ago so it should still be set.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 07:00

"so I'm using an active HDMI to DP adapter"
Explain in great detail how this is connecting to what port and cables between the Surface Book and the P2715Q. Also provide a link to the active HDMI to DP adapter.

Using HDMI in on the P2715Q, the maximum resolution at 60Hz would be 1920x1200.

You followed these instructions?

* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect the HDMI cable from the monitor
* Turn the monitor on
* Press and hold Button 1 and Button 4 on the front panel simultaneously for 2
seconds. A gray screen appears
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to red
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to green
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to blue
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to black
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to white
* Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to text

3 Posts

February 4th, 2016 04:00

HDMI adapter: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_4;qid=1454586974&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+displayport+to+hdmi+adapter+cable+matters.

I try connecting it via HDMI in 2 ways.

1) the HDMI cable from the monitor's HDMI input, to the adapter's HDMI out, then the adapter's mDP cable directly into the Surface Book

2) the same, except the adapter's mDP cable into my Surface Dock, then the Surface Dock's cable into the Surface Book.

Either way, the results are the same.  Again, I also tried connecting via the monitor's mDP cable but that has never worked, even though I tried it with a Surface Pro and a Macbook Pro.  Any idea why the mDP doesn't work?  It says "No mDP cable" when I have it plugged into DP In.  According to the instructions that seems to be the preferred cable.

Why do you say that via HDMI it will only support 1920x1200 at 60Hz?  I'm running it at 3840x2160 at 30Hz, which it tells me is the recommended resolution.

Regarding the diagnostics, I did step 2 differently, but as per the instructions in the manual: "2 Unplug the video cable(s) from the back of the computer or monitor. The monitor then goes into the self-test mode."  So I guess unplugging from the computer doesn't work.

Regardless, the test ran fine when I unplugged the monitor.  When I ran it and the screen turned grey, it still had the flashing vertical stripes displayed.  But they didn't display through the remaining steps.  Although when the test ended and the dialog displayed about saving power, it had the vertical stripes as well.

I also tried hooking it up to my Dell Latitude E6350 today.  It could only display a lower resolution, but the flashing vertical stripes displayed there as well.

Sorry, but I'm thinking I bought a lemon.  I have wasted a ton of time over the past 3 months trying to get this working well, with no luck.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 4th, 2016 06:00

"Why do you say that via HDMI it will only support 1920x1200 at 60Hz?"
My point was at 60Hz, the maximum HDMI resolution is 1920x1200. I did not speak to any resolutions you could get using 30Hz.

Anyway, sounds faulty. Read this.

No Events found!