Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2014 19:00

P2815Q, U2412M, Surface Pro 3 + Dock. Flickering U2412M

Hello - My configuration below =

- Surface Pro 3 (i7, intel hd 5000 video) - connected to P2815Q from surface pro 3 dock mini displayport out to monitor (full sized display port)

- P2815Q 4k monitor (in from surface pro 3 dock - using display port out to daisy chain U2412M)

- U2412m monitor (connected via display port from P2815Q displayport out)

My first issue was I couldn't get the display port out on the P2815Q to work - until I selected menu on the monitor and enabled the displayport 1.2 setting.  Now the dp port out on the P2815Q feeds the U2412M.

My problem now is that when I undock the surface and re-dock -- the U2412M flickers. I can fix the flicker issue by removing the power cord from the U2412M (last of the daisy chain) and plugging back in. It is almost like there is some type of sync issue.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Any help appreciated!

thanks

January 9th, 2015 18:00

I have three Surface Pro 3 Docks that were having this issue. After replacing the display-port cables that were supplied with the Dell monitors with some Star Tech cables the issue disappeared.

www.startech.com/.../6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDP2DPMM6

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 12th, 2014 08:00

I am guessing that you are simply undocking the SP3 (Surface Pro 3) while it is On or in Sleep/Hibernate, correct? Those always lead to DP (DisplayPort) issues when dock/un-dock.

* All three devices are on and connected
* Turn the SP3 OFF (shutdown)
* Un-dock it
* Re-dock it
* Turn it on. Do you see the flicker on the U2412M (Yes/No)

6 Posts

December 15th, 2014 10:00

Hi - thanks for the follow up

I have tried using the approach as you outline above and am still experiencing the flicker.

When I power off the U2412M - the flicker does stop.

Do you have other suggestions or ideas? 

I have tried updating the displayport cable and still experiencing the same results (the flicker).

Thank you

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 15th, 2014 13:00

Is the power supply plugged into the dock? Or are you just using the SP3 battery?

6 Posts

December 15th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for your quick response

yes - I am using the power supply that was supplied with the surface pro 3 dock

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 18th, 2014 08:00

I doubt that the monitor is defective. Agree, sounds like a sync issue. Set the SP3 Power Management to High Performance. Read this. I wonder if the flicker is part of this issue? Sleep and redock both mean the sync has to happen.

"On waking from sleep, Surface sometimes has an issue reconnecting to an external display. To fix it, unplug and re-plug the monitor connector back into the MiniDisplay port. This issue can also affect multiple daisy-chained monitors."

6 Posts

December 19th, 2014 16:00

Thanks again for the response

The SP3 only has a balanced power plan setting... so am unable to set it to high performance as you mention.

I am able to go through the steps in the article you linked to and other external connections are working. 

Please let me know if you have other ideas or suggestions - thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 19th, 2014 17:00

Read this.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2014 19:00

Thanks

I was able to switch power mode to high performance

when I dock the SP3 using hp power mode -- get a new behavior - the screen just flashes and never displays - that is none of the external monitors come on

when I switch back to power save - they come on but the down stream dp connected still flashes (until I remove the power from the monitor and add it back )

Is there a specific setting in the power plan that you know that I could change under balanced that would drive

Or other suggestions?

thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 22:00

I am stumped. I think you are going to have to investigate on the Surface Pro 3 forums for other customers using our monitors on it. My guess is that getting a monitor exchange will only have the same issue, but you could also give that a shot.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 10th, 2015 06:00

Jeff,

Thanks. Does the startech cable seat further into the SP3 dock port and the monitor port? I wonder if all of the Dell mDP to DP cables are suspect now. What specific Dell monitors are you using? I want to look up the Dell mDP to DP cable part number.

12 Posts

January 19th, 2015 02:00

If have a U3014 panel and experience sort of the same issues, except that it happens to me also when the machine is alive and I am basically just working on it.

It starts flickering for a few seconds (sometimes a minute) and then everything settles down.

I read somwhere that the Surface dock does not properly work with mDP2DP cables, so I replaced it with a mDP-only cable, and to my surprise everything worked just fine.... Until I pulled out the SP3 from the dock. At that point the monitor appears dead (buttons not working, indicators dead) and does not recover until I pull the mDP cable from the dock itself. Then (and only then) the monitor comes back to life.

So there is definately something dodgy going on. If I connect the mDP2DP cable directly to my SP3 (not using the DP-out from the dock, that is) I have not yet encountered any issues.

Also, I have had a Surface Pro 2 (and 1) with the "old" dock, and I never had any problems using the same monitor.

12 Posts

January 21st, 2015 01:00

With the Dell supplied mDP-2-DP cable I was unable to retain a picture for more than an hour, and then it would start flickering for about a minute or so.

With the Dell supplied mDP-2-mDP cable I had no flickering issues but as soon as I removed the Surface from the dock the monitor would get "stuck". Unable to recover unless unpluging the mDP cable from the dock.

In a final attempt to get this problem fixed on my Surface Pro 3 I ordered a different mDP-2-DP cable (1 metre) and a mDP-2-mDP cable (also 1 metre). The first resulted in flickering only. There was never a stable image, so WORSE.

The mDP-2-mDP cable however worked flawlessly and so fat the monitor hasn't got stuck. So the brand of cable might in fact be solution to the problem. The cable I am now using is a Delock cable that will set you back around (9 euros).

It looks like my problems are finally solved.

May 31st, 2015 06:00

I have the exact same set up as the OP, JohnMc10 except I've got Surface Pro 3 i5 and I'm having the exact same issue.

I shouldn't have to spend $50 on new cables to get my $550 monitor to work as designed :(

No Events found!