Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2003 04:00

Please help with my refresh rate problem..its interesting..

My refresh rate is currently set to 60hrz, anything higher and you can notice the flicker...set it to 85 and forget about it...its too hard to watch or play games..BUT shouldnt it be the other way around? I thought the higher the rate the elss eye strain and the less flicker...what is going on with my monitor?

I have already tried unplugging my speakers, sub, moving my light and making sure nothing would be interferring with it that I would know of..what is causing this..is it possible that the monitor is just too old that it cant handle rates above 60hrz anymore? Is that possible? If so, then yeah, its time to buy a new one...having to play games and do anything constantly at 60 is hurtring my eyes etc...

Its a 19" Dell P990 CRT that came with my dimension system..its 5 years old..

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

November 27th, 2003 09:00

i agree, the higher the refresh rate, less flicker. the problem will be either monitor related or video card related. i would install the monitor drivers, and remove and re-install the video card drivers and see what happens. if you still have problem , try to install a different video card and see what happens, or another montor if you can.

November 27th, 2003 15:00

Also its for WinXP..I just cant find the drivers on the Dell site..but i found p991 though...but no p990 :(

November 27th, 2003 15:00

It did the same thing with my previous video card and it does the same thing on my brotheres computer with him KDS monitor..but my friend down the hall with an old dell doesnt have this problme..perhaps both mine and my brothers are getting too old...so old that Dell doesnt have the drivers for it :( I looked but couldnt find one for the Dell P990...similiar ones, but not that one...

1K Posts

November 28th, 2003 00:00

This is another of the great myths, after all, if a little is good, a lot must be better. In the case of refresh rate, no. In fact you may only worsen the flicker and ghosting situation by attempting to exceed the supported refresh rate at the operating resolution. Since that monitor should support at least 75Hz at the optimal resolution you may have a marginal or inadeqaute, possilbly malfunctioning, video adapter. The monitor will function fine in plug and play, no need for a dedicated driver unless you need to calibrate color for certain applications. As was suggested earlier, reinstall or update your video card driver may be a good first step.

Message Edited by tomintx on 11-27-2003 08:28 PM

November 28th, 2003 02:00

Thanks for the advice, I actually just bought a new Radeon 9800pro so I have just recently updated my drivers, but it was doing the same thing with my old Radeon 8500 on many different drivers, so for that reason im saying that its probably not a driver issue (i could be mistaken) can my monitor go bad just because its old? Im only leaning to that because this has been going on with my old card and this new one, so ive tried with different cards and different drivers...im going to hook up my friends monitro (an old dell as well, but his doestn flicker...its even older then mine is) and see what it does on my system...if it doesnt flicker then is it definetely the monitor itself, Thanks

2 Posts

December 5th, 2003 05:00

It's definitely your monitor. Having the exact problem you are. By the way, you are being deceived by Windows. If you hit the menu button on your monitor or check the ATI additions to the control panel applet, you will see that you are STUCK at 60 hz!

I have tried everything I can think of. All drivers are correct and have been loaded at least twice. All settings are correct, and nothing I can do will get the refresh rate above 60hz. It's pretty much useless to me because it makes me physically ill to look at it for more than a few minutes. Sorry I can offer no advise...I'd be very glad to hear of a fix for this problem myself.

Wait, I can offer a little advise. driverguide.com has an .exe that contains the .inf for the P990 called DELMON.exe, not that it will help you much. Also, the monitor theoretically supports up to 120hz.

Message Edited by Ramohl on 12-05-2003 01:46 AM

December 5th, 2003 08:00

Thanks for the reply Ramohl, im glad there is someone else that is saying perhaps its just a bad monitor and you should get a new one... I sent you a PM...

Message Edited by digitalduck on 12-05-2003 04:00 AM

2 Posts

December 6th, 2003 04:00

Well, I was partially wrong. I've tried 2 other monitors, 1 successfully and one that gave me the same problem. It seems that the Radeon cards are very finicky about what is plugged into them. The older the monitor the less chance you will probably have of it working properly. The only one I've gotten to work so far is the newest one I have, made in '99. You might not want to scrap the 990 just yet, but I doubt you will ever get it to work with your ATI card. I know I'll rethink before I buy anything else from them...
No Events found!