Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 2nd, 2001 19:00

Power Save Mode

Throughout the last six months I've come across computers at my work with monitors that just wont display at all. Instead I get the message, "Monitor is in power save mode, activate using PC." Now this is happening when the PC is booted and running. Beyond turning on the PC's power, how can you activate the monitor? Is this message an indication of some other problem?

• 

16.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2001 13:00

monkeyvoto,

Thank you for joining the DellTalk Forum.

To bring the computer out of the power save mode press the "Windows" key once and release, wait one second, then press enter. The system should come out of power save mode. The Windows key is the key with the Microsoft Windows Symbol on it. Another solution would be to disable power management.
To disable power management, right click on the desktop, click on properties, screen saver, then Energy Savings Settings button.
Change all the settings to "Never", then click on "apply" and "ok". Power management has been disabled.

1 Message

January 7th, 2001 02:00

I have the same problem with a brand new OptiPlex GX115. Since the time I first powered it up three days ago, it has only displayed the message "Monitor is in Power Save mode; activate using PC". I tried the solution in your message to monkeyvoto, but it had no effect.

If it makes any difference, my PC was purchased through Dell in Saudi Arabia and I believe it originated in the UK. So far it is just a paperweight.

Thanks.

3 Posts

December 27th, 2001 21:00

I have the same problem, and the fix suggested here did nothing to aleviate the problem - are we all destined to use our new computers (Optiplex in my case) as Paper weights?

1 Message

November 4th, 2002 09:00

I have the same problem among with probably millions of other Dell Users - why doesn't Dell fix this problem - why are we constantly being ignored - I have tried all the fixes 'suggested' by the Dell Moderators but not one has worked

Can someone explain what is happening!!

If someone does get a 'working answer' let me know how to fix my monitor - I really hate the Power Save feature

1 Message

November 11th, 2002 12:00

I am also unable to bring my monitor out of sleep mode. I tried the fix suggested by the Dell Moderator, but it did not work.

In addition, I've tried unplugging the monitor, restarting the computer and nothing affects the screen. It remains black.

This is a very frustrating problem and my computer, like the others forum users' machines, is simply an expensive paper weight at the moment.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 13th, 2002 12:00

valmore,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The sleep mode is designed for portable systems to save on battery life. They do not seem to work well on desktop systems. You can go into the power management options in the control panel and set "Power Schemes" to "Always On" and set to turn off Monitor and Harddrive both to "Never".

2 Posts

November 15th, 2002 17:00

Nevermind the silly questions, I am extremely frustrated with this problem and Dell does not seem to have a solution. Our library just purchased 12 new machines, seven of which exhibit this ridiculous monitor problem. All we get are idiotic answers none of which we can use because we can't use the monitor screens to do any adjustments. These machines are going to be repacked and returned. We might as well since we can't use them. All I can say is our next purchase will be delivered in cow boxes if you get my drift.

2 Posts

November 15th, 2002 17:00

This might be a silly question, Jesse, but how can we do all these adjustments if we can't see anything on the monitor

1 Message

March 4th, 2003 19:00

I am having the same problem, I've tried the Windows key + enter solution but it didn't work, and I don't know how to try the other solutions when I can't see anything on the screen.  Has this problem ever been resolved?

3 Posts

March 14th, 2003 15:00

I am experiencing this problem on all 12 of my Dell Optiplex GX260. It is very frustrating. Did anyone get a solution to this?

1 Message

March 15th, 2003 19:00

I have tried all the possible solutions from Jesse, I have e-mailed, I have sat for 45 minutes on hold waiting for that 24/7 award winning service and support with no answers or replys.  I am so frustrated!  How can I get my monitor out of power save mode when I can't even get a screen for windows?  I get nothing other than the power save mode, and I have to push a button just to get that.  It does however play some nice music while I am waiting but how many days/weeks must I wait?  I paid almost $2,400 for this system.  Would somebody please help me?

2 Posts

March 28th, 2003 10:00

I have seen this message before when upgrading system memory. Strange that it would happen on new systems out of the box. My experience was upgrading a GX300. When I put in the new memory and booted, I got the Power Save Mode. I finally solved the problem by reinstalling the old memory, performing a BIOS update, and then reinstalling the new memory. This won't help you except to indicate that it may be a problem with your memory or the system BIOS.

3 Posts

May 12th, 2003 11:00

I have managed to start my machines without going to powersave mode. I removed a card from the computer - i think its the one for digital signal to the monitor. This is the only visible card in the expansion slots apart from the one in the metal casing of the power supply. This card has narow female rectangular pin slots quite different from normal 9 or 25 pin cards.

I removed this card from all the machines and they all work!

2 Posts

May 12th, 2003 12:00

It almost sounds like your computers came with a pci video card as well as an integrated video card. Most of the mother boards in the optiplex machines have the integrated video card on them. They are disabled when they ship out with pci video cards. If you had a pci video card but plugged the monitor into the disabled integrated video card, that may have been the problem. When you removed the pci card, the system found the integrated card and enabled it. Does that sound right?

1 Message

May 14th, 2003 19:00

It is indeed a video problem...Are you all using the DVI interface with a flat panel?  If so, plug in an old monitor and install the correct driver...also, it is my understanding that the DVi interface is meant for a 2nd disply output, not the primary video. 

Edmund

No Events found!