Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2013 12:00

Problem with u3014. Design issue or fundamental incompatibility?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me isolate an extremely frustrating problem I have been experiencing with my u3014 display. The display will occasionally start to show white flickering horizontal lines (almost like static - this video captures it well (thanks to the original poster) and also exhibits an intermittent loss of signal necessitating a power cycle to restore. One also had an unresponsive OSD and power button. I have now had two replacements fail in the same way, for a total of three displays exhibiting the same behaviour in less than a week. Since I have a second display - an Asus - and this exhibits none of the same issues when connected to the same system in the same port on my EVGA GTX 680 FTW (two in SLI), I can only assume the fault is with the display, but having now had three with the same issue, I am forced to explore a deeper incompatibility or design problem. I found another thread describing this exact issue, but having now had three displays all fail in less than a week, I am beginning to suspect a simple replacement will not resolve the issue. I should add that I tried swapping DVI and power cables.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2013 16:00

InDubioVeritas,

Three monitors with the same issue sounds odd to me. What revisions were those three U3014s? A0?

Did you try this?
* Open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Display Settings
* Go to Smart Video Enhance
* Change this from Movie to Off
* Exit the monitor OSD
* Open the DDM (Dell Display Manager)
* Click Auto Mode. This should open the Auto Mode tab
* For all listings, change them to Standard

July 30th, 2013 03:00

Agreed. Hence my strong suspicion that there may be a BIOS/firmware clash or some other incompatibility. All three were revision A00 as far as I know. The replacements were refurbished models. Turning off the Smart Video Enhance was one of the first things I did as it was causing issues in games. Dell Display Manager seems to make no difference.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 05:00

You mentioned SLI, can you disable SLI and test just the U3014 on the primary video card?

July 30th, 2013 06:00

I will do, but I highly doubt SLI is the issue as the flickering and failure to display following a change in state occur outside of Windows as well.

July 30th, 2013 18:00

I just purchased dell 3014 from newegg on 07/01/2013. And now i have this problem also. In addition, the power button looks have problem also. it sometime does't work and i have to unplug the power. sometime the screen will have no picture suddenly and i have to turn it off and turn it on again. also, the flickering horizontal lines as to youtube video. my is A01 runing on gtx680. What can i do? I have to return. Please advise. Thank you.

July 31st, 2013 08:00

it seem to many people has this problem. i decided to return..

July 31st, 2013 14:00

Sorry to hear that.

I agree, it does appear not to be an isolated issue with this series.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Has the severe backlight bleed, particularly in the corners, that plagues the U3014, been fixed yet?

It makes no sense since the 29" Dells have perfect backlight uniformity. Is it because of the GB-LED technology?

4 Posts

August 6th, 2013 15:00

InDubioVeritas, I have had the flickering horizontal lines among other things from a Rev. A01 Feb 2013. Got it exchanged to a Rev A01 April 2013 which fixed it and my Menu problems too. But it still have the horizontal lines in the left corner (not the flickering ones).

August 6th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the reply.

Good to hear you have fixed your issues, for the most part.

My new replacement (not a refurbished model this time) is also a later A01 and so far I have not seen the flickering lines or the menu problem. Not yet ready to consider the issue resolved, but a step forward.

I do however have one bad pixel already, which is rather annoying.

No Events found!