Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2004 20:00

Recommend LCD Monitor

I have been reading the reviews of the new "Hitachi" lcds monitors. They seem to have something no one else has and that the fastest response rate. Also have good color , brightness etc . A response rate of 16ns. Thats very fast and excellent for gaming. They also have DVI and analog connectors. Another interesting thing I noticed about LCDs in general, the ones that they call ultra sharp seem to all have lower response rates. Maybe that related to clarity and sharpness somehow.

I'm a little reluctant to buy the Dell Monitors. I  would welcome any suggestions about any monitors to look for. Thanks

Jerry

142 Posts

February 8th, 2004 16:00

I'm happy that I made the decision on the Dell on the 1901FP. As a matter of fact I got PC World latest edition and of all the LCD's in 17" and 19" Dell got the best rating overall. The only downside is the 3 week waiting for your order to be shipped. Maybe they'll get it out sooner. They shipped my Dimension 8300 the next day at 6AM. Too fast, they didn't install my Radeon 9800 Pro. So I had to do that myself. Interesting observation for me and that is "When Dell is good, they are great" and "When they are bad, they are really bad" . It's the luck of the Draw.

I think I should establish a "Senior Citizen Branch on the forum". Answering the needs and understanding of our unique problems, both physical and mental (Senior moments). I'll tell you that computers have been my life line for me, and when my daughter had cancer, it helped me greatly . Unfortunatly she lost her battle.

Good chatting with you all and look forward to more good interaction with everyone. I don't have any bad things to say about the forum. Only good . I believe that all people are good, i.e. until proven wrong. I have been through a lot of experiences both good and bad where you have to depend on others and they do come through.

Thank you again I wish the best to everyone.

Jerry

142 Posts

February 8th, 2004 21:00

Hi,

Got a question for you?

With all the "Stuff" on the forum about the nividia video cards and the power sleep issue. There are about 26 pages of problems with the LCDs. Only in DVI mode. The analog works fine. After researching some sites, the issue is with the DVI standards and premature failures of components on Nividia cards. It seems all the ATI cards are fine. I was wondering how you handle the power management on LCDs. Can you handle this the same as CRT management. Can you turn them off with similar settings or do they require special treatment. I always like to get a head start on issues.

When I ordered my LCD on Saturday, they told me approx. 3 weeks. Guess what they shipped it Sunday AM. Wow!!

Jerry

1K Posts

February 8th, 2004 22:00

I've got a Gainward card with an NVidia FX 5200 specifically for my 2001FP with DVI, and it works fine. both power save and system standby have no problems. Same thing was true for my 1702FP with a Matrox G550. All other LCD monitors I've dealt with (runing analog) have also had no problems with these things. This is 6 monitors total. They get no special treatment.

575 Posts

February 8th, 2004 22:00

When I got my 1702FP, I just hooked it up (DVI) and that was it. Power management's never been an issue...matter of fact, I've never even thought about it. I have an ATi 9800 so maybe that's the reason. I note that my Windows "Power Schemes" is set to turn the monitor off after 10 min of inactivity (which it does) but that's gotta be the default setting b/c I've never touched it...wiggle the mouse a little and it fires right back up.

1 Message

February 9th, 2004 01:00

Hi all, thanks for the helpful information regarding LCD 's

I am thinking of calling Dell and ordering the 8300, but I want to up grade the monitor with the tv/monitor.  I came here to see if I could get advice.  Honestly now I am confused, is the Dell LCD good or not ?

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

February 9th, 2004 05:00

decbdje

will tell a what i would do, if you have lots of money, get this one-

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-299&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

this monitor should make most happy-but most folks are like me, hey , i don,t have a $1000+.

since i don,t have a $1000, i would consider some of these - they all should be fine lcd,s-

dell 2001fp

dell 1901fp

samsung 191t+

viewsonic vp171b

planar px171m

samsung  213t silver- again , more money

if you are a gamer-viewsonic vp201s-vp171b-dell 2001fp-planar px171m

these are the ones that seem to top my list, but you have to do some homework, lot of manufacturers and new models

Message Edited by ronss on 02-09-2004 01:38 AM

1 Message

February 10th, 2004 04:00

I was thinking of purchasing the Dell 4800 computer with a Dell 1901fp monitor.  Is the integrated graphics that come statndard on the 4800 o.k. to use on this monitor or should I upgrade to one of the optional add on video cards Dell lists for the 4800?  If so, which one would be the minimal I need for this monitor?  Could I really tell the difference? 

575 Posts

February 10th, 2004 12:00

@MoonDogGuy wrote:

I was thinking of purchasing the Dell 4800 computer with a Dell 1901fp monitor.  Is the integrated graphics that come statndard on the 4800 o.k. to use on this monitor or should I upgrade to one of the optional add on video cards Dell lists for the 4800?  If so, which one would be the minimal I need for this monitor?  Could I really tell the difference? 

I think you mean the Dimension 4600 and, yes, if you're going to get a really nice monitor like the 1901FP, you should configure the system with a video card. The situation is this: the monitor can be hooked up one of two ways, Digital DVI-D or Analog RGB. The monitor performs best and will give you the best quality using the Digital DVI-D hook up. The problem with the integrated graphics is that it does not support Digital DVI-D and you'll be stuck using the Analog RGB feed. Dell only gives you 2 choices on the video card. The nVidia card will probably be OK but I'd opt for the ATi 9800 Pro. And definitely get the free 512MB RAM upgrade. With the Intel 2.8GHz processor, you'll have a very nice performing system.

1K Posts

February 10th, 2004 12:00

There is an improvement, although it won't be major. There will also be a performance (speed) improvement you can see over the integrated graphics. Considering the low relative cost of getting a video card compared to that of the monitor, I'd certainly get the card.

February 14th, 2004 05:00

Previously you mentioned a few good 'gaming' monitors.  I have heard about the Viewsonic VP201b and VP201s, but have not seen ANY reviews anywhere, especially from a gaming perspective.

Any idea how the VP201b and VP201s compare to the 2001FP?

Also, for the VP201b, I have seen the response rated as BOTH 25ms(typ), and 16ms(typ).  Most non-US sites list the 25ms speed (including Viewsonic's non-US sites), but Tiger Direct, and Viewsonic US list it as 16ms(typ).  Any idea which is the 'true' response time?  Did viewsonic update the product recently - ie. if I buy a 'newer' VP201b, I'll get 16ms, instead of the 'older' 25ms? 

I think the uniformly thin black bezel of the VP201 looks better than the 2001FP too.

Thanks for any info / comments!

David

P.S.  When is Dell going to have a 20% or 25% sale again on the 2001FP?!?!  (need the sale because shipping to Hawaii is almost $100 for just the monitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

February 14th, 2004 09:00

reviews are sometimes hard to come by with lcds, could be the costs involved maybe. here is one that has short reviews on a few large lcds-

http://www.itp.net/reviews/?cat1=hardware&cat2=display&cat3=monitors

Message Edited by ronss on 02-14-2004 05:49 AM

Message Edited by ronss on 02-14-2004 05:50 AM

February 15th, 2004 03:00

Thanks for the reply and reviews.  I checked them out, and also got a reply on arstechnica.com OpenForums too.  Consensus is that the VP201s IS 16ms but sells for $1100+, and the VP201b is still 25ms.

I don't have the $1100+ so I am 100% certain I will get the 2001FP - just need to convince the fiance.  I play games quite a bit so I need a fast response time.  And can use the 'extra' screen real estate for web surfing, and graphic design.

Now, just need to figure out when Dell is going to have a 20% or 25% off sale, or buy the FP2001 off of Ebay (for $735).  I just moved from San Francisco to Hawaii, and the movers broke my old 19" Mitsubishi DiamondPro 900u. :(  (I am borrowing a friend's 'spare' 15" flat panel).

Anyone have any idea as to how often Dell has these sales, and how often the 20% or 25% sales come around?

Mucho thanks!

David Nunes

Message Edited by BubbaLicious on 02-14-2004 07:15 PM

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

February 15th, 2004 04:00

check the small biz now and then. they were have the discounts every 2 or 3 weeks, and its on the weekends mostly i noticed. i may get something later this year, but hopefully from costco,s, they have a great return policy if there are dead pixels. i hate em, and costcos has a excellent return policy.

No Events found!