Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AT

January 9th, 2007 05:00

Repost: A02 and A03 fix list, the differences

The 2407 A03 is now truly a great 8-bit monitor.

1. The banding problem is corrected through DVI in desktop mode. I have a hard time finding banding in Multimedia mode and that depends on the type of content. That's the most important fix.
2. The OSD language fix Dell states, even though I don't know exactly what language it was.
3. The monitor does not default to the S-Video input setting. If you set it to component in, it will remember this setting the next time you use video inputs.
4. 480P thru component input shows as 480P in OSD not as 480I like it use to
5. Component in from a DVD standalone is fully adjustable for Color, sharpness, saturation and other settings. DVD's look great.
For DVD players: To anyone that thinks component is a waste of space is just plain wrong; you just have to get use to adjusting the monitor thru the OSD.

Anybody else notice any other fixes? :)

And a couple notes,
Microsoft came out with a fix for XBOX360 for 1080P thru VGA.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=68504&view=by_date_ascending&page=2
Also up res's DVD's to 1080P thru 360.

I see now the component "in" has issues with some consoles like Wii.

Post your experiences.

Let Dell and others know what you experience with your specific set up.:)

14 Posts

January 9th, 2007 19:00

Are these fixes you mention from A01 to A03?

last week I just got a pair of 2407 A03 displays with firmware V1B20 HN208 (latest)
I am VERY disapointed to see that there is a banding issue on both.
(desktop mode, over DVI)

I have used many olnine image files to test, including this one I made myself that is an uncompressed TIF that looks perfect on my old CRT.

http://www.hookmorefish.com/junk/band.tif

The problem is slightly reduced (in that there are fewer bands that are bigger and further apart) in desktop mode (as compared to game or multimedia or whatever), but this is far from perfect.

As a pro editor, I can not deal with such an inacurate image when I am working.
I thought the A03 was supposed to resolve the issue...?
I am considering returning these if there is no fix!

January 9th, 2007 20:00

A02 to A03.

I new someone would bring this up and I wanted it brought up again :)

I’ve stated here before several times,
If you use a monitor, for graphics design or are a Photoshop Pro or other related work that directly affects your livihood (income) I don't recommend the 2407... any of the versions.

Go for a high-end monitor, 22” run about $1300.00 U.S. or so.

Return should still be 21 days and state the problem, "not good enough for the work you do and most important banding issue". Ask for prepaid return shi[pping labels and of course DELL will waive any restocking fees because of the banding defect, Dell's defect.

I have three 2407 AO3's and for my uses they are very good, not doing pro work here just gaming, video and writing and things that don't affect my income.

Hope that helps :)

Message Edited by all the facts on 01-09-200704:46 PM

14 Posts

January 9th, 2007 21:00

I am frustrated because the pair of 2405s I used to work on at a studio were fine, and a friend of mine has 2 2405s as well - also fine.

Why the heck is the 2407 WORSE then the older model regarding the banding issue!!!

Message Edited by Schteevie on 01-09-200705:55 PM

January 10th, 2007 15:00

Oh I see ChrisM wrote this in the FAQ's,

"To test for banding -
* Turn off the Adobe Gamma software/profiles and any Ati or Nvidia gamma/brightness tweaks
* You should be in Desktop Mode at 1680x1050 60Hz for the 2007WFP and 1920x1200 60Hz for the 2407WFP
* You should be using the Dell video card drivers and the Dell monitor drivers;
2007WFP
2407WFP

* I used CheckeMON to test my 2407WFP
* Open CheckeMON and click Color Spectrum. The gradients should look smooth with no color steps."

Good Day:)

January 10th, 2007 15:00

That question has been asked many times here. And have read how good the 2405's are. Here is my take on it.
The 2407 model should not have been released with the banding flaw at all in the first place. Reasons, speculation, time to market, capture a customer base with one of the first 24" fastest panels for gaming. You know a money issue. Profit margins and all.

A better-engineered firmware update for the A03 version most likely could have solved the banding issue.

Here is a copy of and old post that might give some obscure reasons for banding. But first, since you’re a graphics Pro you may or may not have issues with color profiles.

The Dell 2407 monitor driver from Dell’s website, not from the CD, with the color profile attached to it, causes banding as stated by a poster in that thread.
There is an app. to remove and manage color profiles, one of the only ways to do it.
Don't remember the name of the application off hand think it's directly from Microsoft since it digs into XP to find them. Deleting color pro files will eliminate banding in some instances. MAC users I wouldn't know about.
Also custom color profiles created in Adobe Photoshop may cause banding.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but may help your situation and your decision making process as what to do.

I like the 2407's for the above reasons and the 5 year advanced exchange warranty.

On another note, the A03 version has a soft dither option in the factory menu. Soft dither options eliminate and minimize banding. Several soft dither options are available in some high end LCD's. Dell should have put in a few more to correct Multimedia and Gaming modes. But now we are back to cost factors and profit margins.

If you change the gamma setting in the video control panel banding could be eliminated at 6.0 but the LCD will be unusable at that high setting.

Old Post:
"In regards to minor banding issues, since in the 2407 A03’s it’s 99.9% gone for most of us:

I remember one post here,
1. Person stated after changing the DVI cable to a different DVI cable that came with a different manufacturers LCD the banding was gone.
What I’m getting at, does anyone think a better-insulated DVI cable may reduce minor banding?

2. Another post.
Banding came back in A03. After switching DVI outs on the video card banding seem to be gone with the other output, but then returned. That would be an intermittent problem. Any ideas here? This actually worked for Me.

3. Another post: After switching to a 7600GS video card from a 6800GT the banding was gone.

4. Do you think KVM switches cause minor banding because of the multiple inputs and outputs thus creating some sort of noise leak or residence in the line creating minor banding?

5. Changing gamma settings in the video control panel for nVidia drivers will create banding in Desktop mode; I have to leave my gamma setting at 1.0 for the best results. It's not really an issue because gamma at 1.0 looks the best in applications and content.

6. The Dell 2407 monitor driver from Dell’s website, not from the CD, with the color profile attached to it, causes banding as stated by a poster in that thread.

7. Compressed files.
I see a little banding in compressed DVD VOB's video captured to MPEG 2 and also in
AVI SD Raw 28,000 kbps rendered to 8,000 kbps MPEG 2 Master Quality, in the later it shows up in gray sky gradients but it's minor and you really have to know what you are looking for. If I increase gamma settings on these files, banding is very much more noticeable, but that would not be desired look anyway.

Divx files may show some, I still need to check, anybody have any input in regards to Divx or Xvid files that are not overly compressed.

Anyone know of any tried and proved fixes you have used to correct minor banding that may have been video card or other related that was not solely the monitor. Have you ever seen minor banding go away and return at all?

Thanks All"

Then there is speed or response time issues vs. banding these are stated in the manufacturers chip documents. Sacrifice one for the other.

Here is another of my posts:

"You might find this interesting:

LCD vertical banding is a flaw that can occur in the manufacturing process of the LCD panels themselves, and some LCD panels will tend to manifest it more noticeably than others. The panels that cause the most visible problems are usually weeded out in the vendor's quality control process.
However, those that create just a hint of banding often pass through QC, since it is prohibitively expensive to discard all parts that exhibit flaws which may have no practical impact on picture quality.

So, we end up with a situation in which some LCD panels, even within a given production run on one model, will have no banding at all, some may have a hint of it that does not rise to the level of a significant issue, and some may have a more visible problem that really does impair the enjoyment of the viewing experience. In the latter case, sometimes the problem can be mitigated with internal adjustments made by the dealer or vendor service departments, and sometimes the LCD panels or the entire unit need to be replaced.

And add DVI out issues, various video cards, overdrive, color contrast chip trade off, all can produce banding to some degree. With all those variables involved, it amazes me that my 2407's look that good."

And there is even more, but I think that will satisfy most readers.

Good luck and post back after you decide what to do.

Good Day to All :)
No Events found!