Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2011 22:00

Right side of U2711 flashes red

Hello all, every once and a while the right side of my monitor will flash a transparent red. (The whole right side is filled, not just a tiny part)

I was wondering if this sounds more like a GPU issue, or the monitor itself. I had the monitor connected by a DVI-D cable, now I have it connected by a Display Port cable.

After coming home from the Doctor today, I noticed a message on the screen that said, "Display Port Link Failure: the system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPort display.  Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable."

The screen was fine, but a few hours later I noticed another flash of red. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, it's just fairly annoying and happens randomly.

Any help will be very much appreciated, thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 18th, 2011 07:00

That sounds more like a video card issue. If the PC is a desktop, consider powering off and reseating the video card.

4 Posts

October 18th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the reply, Chris M. Alright tried doing that, no go.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 18th, 2011 14:00

Is there another video card to test?

4 Posts

October 18th, 2011 15:00

I currently do not have another card to test. I might just go ahead and RMA my card to get that out of the way. I'd really hate for it to be the monitor.

The last refurb Dell sent me looked like it had been thrown around, it was covered in scratches and dings.

Thanks for the reply.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2011 22:00

Hey Ken, do you have any electronics near the monitor?

I figured out what my problem was about a week later. It was my cell phone that I keep near the right side of my monitor. After I moved it, I never had a problem again.

Also, I noticed that you said the right side of the screen has a redness to it. Is it a tint that never goes away? If so, you need to replace that monitor.

1 Message

December 24th, 2011 22:00

I have a similar issue I've ignored now for about 6 months or more, but its becoming REALLY ANNOYING. The right half of the screen has a redness that is not always immediately apparent but especially noticeable in darker scenes. I've now tried 2 entirely different computers as well as HDMI, DVI, and Displayport over this time so I really think it is the monitor (unfortunately). I am not sure how to get service on this monitor though, I've never done an RMA to Dell. How do you do it?

Thanks,

-Ken

No Events found!