Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2014 15:00

S2309W DVI-I to adapter to Macbook Pro = DVI not working

Hello,

I am trying to use a working Dell S2309W monitor with a 2013 Macbook Pro, as an external monitor.

I am able to get the monitor to work using the VGA cable, but I'd like to use the DVI-D cable.

I am connecting the DVI-D cable to an adapter (that does work) and then to the Apple mini-port plug adapter.

I have switched the monitor to digital input, but it just goes into sleep mode. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried unplugging the monitor.

Neither works and I just keep on getting the Power Save Mode message. Any ideas?

3 Posts

January 9th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

I actually have already tried the Apple forums and haven't figured out what is going on. I don't know if it's the adapter, a setting on the computer, or what.

I'll keep searching for an answer, but thanks for the reply.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 9th, 2014 05:00

nayr497,

We do not test our monitors with any apple proprietary hardware or software. Check the apple Discussions Forum for help from other apple users with our products:
https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 9th, 2014 06:00

If I have to guess, the issue is the adapter.

Dell S2309WFP DVI-I port --> Dell DVI cable --> ??adapter?? --> Macbook Pro

3 Posts

January 9th, 2014 06:00

Yes, I'm using a DVI-D to VGA adapter, between the Dell monitor plug and the Apple mini-port plug/adapter.

I bought a new one, it didn't work. I now have one from a friend, it works for her to connect an external monitor (not sure what make/model) so I think this adapter is working.

I just don't know why it is going into sleep mode now. Previously the message, when using the possibly dead adapter, was "No DVI-D" cable. Now it goes into sleep mode.

Hmm...

No Events found!